Circuit d'Azur Data Source

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kashif, Jan 15, 2020.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It may circle around the existing Codemasters agreement, but I'd be shocked if the Track Organizers still didn't have to allow the release and sale of the track.(via some sort of license) Codemaster's probably also locked up all the trackside advertisers and that would explain all the repetitive S397 adverts.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie mate, no. Brianza, Northamptonshire from rF1, etc. Geoff Crammond's F1 series from the 90s with about the right colours and similar names, other games with subtle variations of real F1 driver names, etc etc. It's all about licensing. I don't know how we're even debating this. (as for the track side adverts, you can't use a real company logo without their permission; that's actually not related to a particular track being licensed, though I'm sure having a licensed one probably allows (or may even require) the use of the real ones)

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The original Geoff Crammond GP game had fake driver names but real track names. Times were different I guess...

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

What a bizarre world we live in where you have to get (pay for?) a license to use an advert when the whole reason the advert exists is that the advertiser is using it to brainwash us into buying their product. You'd think they'd be paying S397 to ram their graffiti down our throats - it's like Google paying advertisers for AdWords. And how weird that we would not simply accept a street circuit without adverts. I read recently that someone is inserting live adverts into blank spaces in games. Wonderful :mad:

5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Ah the good old days of being British hero Robert Davies trying to beat the Brazilian legend Carlos Sanchez. I guess you have to be of a certain age to know what I'm talking about.

Thankfully you had the option to go through and change all the driver and team names.

ApexModding and MarcG like this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

In addition, S397 has other rules to follow in order to keep their wares suitable for all children on Steam. So no alcohol or tobacco advertisements.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Afaik those are banned in sports for almost two decades by now. Though I guess it means it still is actual for historic content, but historic content.... you know how it is with historic content :D

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

All the names were helpfully written in the manual for you ;)

9. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Then I hope they don't notice that those exist in mods that are in the workshop.

10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

And if I remember correctly, Reiza's 1988 version of Imola has the Marlboro logo.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

You can do pretty much anything with mods, this is the appeal of modding. As long as the rights holder doesn't explicitly file a complaint, which is what happened with some Assetto Corsa F1 mods a couple of years ago, nothing is checked and it couldn't be done. S397 would need to employ a guy full time for checking mod infringements.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

I haven't paid attention to the track, but Reiza may not be worrying about meeting the "safe for all children" rating.

Edit: I checked the track. What they have is a clever imitation, with the red triangle on white background, but instead of "Marlboro", there is a picture of a race car. The red triangle is probably not proportioned the same as Marlboro's logo.

13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

With that they can just say "these are community mods and nothing to do with us"

Plus the Marlboro logos in the 1988 Imola are the censored non-tobacco ones.

14. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Again, if I remember correctly, I was comparing to the 1988 F1 race and I believe they were the same. But as Aidan says, I guess those are censored logos.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Finally found them. Pretty sure in Grand Prix 2 they were the same as I remember the kerbs having the chevrons on them imola.png

16. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Yes, those are the same logos as the ones shown in the 1988 F1 race at Imola. I guess those are "allowed", since it doesn't say "Marlboro".

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

And Camel sell camels.

18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

And Mission Winnow sell... what exactly?

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Phillip Morris International's (Marlboro's) vaping department