Problems with the mod...

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by kleistheone, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kleistheone

kleistheone Registered

Enlo. :D So I'm kind of new to modding but it sucked me in recently. I started with converting a car (Alfa Romeo 155 DTM from 94) from rFactor to rF2. Now, I've used Chris's tools to make the new files and make old ones compatible with rF2, didn't really edit them. The problem is -> when looking at the car in showroom, it looks fine all the parts are where they are supposed to be, but when going onto the track all goes wrong. :D So, any clue how to fix that? Where should I search for the problem? Pictures about the issue down below. Aye, and dont look at the textures, I'm gonna make them high-res as fast as I solve this bigger issue. :D showroom.png in-game.png

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do you use 3dsimed to convert the meshes from rf1 to rf2?
    If yes, please post a screenshot of the car loaded in 3dsimed and shown directly from the side, that the distance between the body and the 0 height level is visible.
    And post the line
    GraphicalOffset=.....
    from the hdv file too.

kleistheone likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Not sure, but looks like scale problem.

kleistheone likes this.
  4. kleistheone

kleistheone Registered

Yup, I'm using 3DSimED3. I loaded the model in, and saw something weird which I haven't recognized yet (I'm so like an amateur holy sh*t >.<)... The axis shouldn't be like this right?

The line from .hdv file: GraphicalOffset=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

Attached Files:

5. Brent

Brent Registered

It appears to be a scale thing but to me the body seems to have sunk into the ground. I've been dealing with the opposite. Where the car and wheels appear correct (as if they are sitting statically on the ground) but all are floating just above the ground in the showroom and then all appear to sit properly once on track.

I'm familiar with the GraphicalOffset= but don't understand exactly what it does. Does it only affect the body (everything in slot<ID>) or the car as a whole? I experimented with it one time but got some bizarre results between the showroom and track and so I left it for another day.

It would be nice if someone could make a simple graphic representation of the proper way to setup a vehicle body and tires. Should the bottom of the body be at 0,0,0 flush with the "ground" Or should 0,0,0 be the ground with the bottom of the tires resting at that plane? I'm surprised all the information I find about modding glosses over it. It just says the body mesh pivot point must be set as 0,0,0 but it doesn't say what it's position relative to 0,0,0 should be. And that pivot point might be the issue kleistheone has here. You have to be very careful sometimes exporting meshes from 3dsimED, tires/wheels for example. I always export wheel/tires by opening the meshes individually and exporting them, it seems to preserve the pivot points vs exporting with the entire vehicle loaded.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would recommend to position the car in that way, that the lowest part of the body is at height level 0.0.0.
    And normally you don't need to have another pivot point for the meshes than 0.0.0.
    The only meshes that must have a specific pivot point, are the steering wheel and the helmet.
    So i would do that:
    Load all meshes as OBJECTS in 3dsimed, EXCEPT of the steering wheel and helmet.
    Move all meshes up, to the above described position.
    Notice how much you have moved it.
    IMPORT the steering wheel and move it upwards as much as the car was moved and export the mesh.
    Do the same with the helmet.
    If the pivot points of steering wheel and helmet have been correct, they still will have the right pivot point after the movement.
    3dsimed is correcting the pivot point automatically, when you import a mesh and move it.
    If you have moved the car and the car still sinks into the ground on track, please you devmode folder of the car, load it up somewhere and send me the link with a private conversation.
    It's much easier and quicker to look at the files, than to start a quiz here. :)

kleistheone likes this.
  7. kleistheone

kleistheone Registered

That's what I'll do, thanks in advance. :D

8. SharD

SharD Registered

Too much downforce in the .hdv file can cause this as well.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The car is sitting in the garage. There is literally zero downforce.

10. Brent

Brent Registered

So all of the meshes (with exception of the wheels and the steering wheel) need to have pivots set at 0,0,0. And the proper XYZ positioning of the body and all meshes should be set with the horizontal plane of the absolute coordinate set flush with the bottom of the body and the vertical axis through the center.

With the body setup, the next step is for kleistheone to position the wheels relative to the body. How would he position them? The car modding complete pdf tutorial glosses over this entirely. A simple 2D profile diagram would clear a lot up.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There might be a fan just out of view...... well......

12. SharD

SharD Registered

Indeed.

It was just something I noticed when programming a Brawn BGP001. The car had so much downforce that it was in the track and it was able to take the corners of Melbourne with 320 kp/h...