Loss of Power/More Drag after repairing damage in pit

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by kashif, Jan 11, 2020.

1. kashif

kashif Registered

When I get damage and have to pit, after coming from the pits (AFTER REPAIRING ALL), on the straight I notice that the car loses a LOT of time on the straight. I would gain time on the drive out of the corner and in the middle of the straight lose at least 4-5 tenths, depending on the straight.

This was after a full repair. The car doesn't seem to come back to an original state after repair, it seems and there seems to be some kind of permanent loss of power or somehow gain of drag. I'm not sure which, but the car definitely loses a lot of time on the straight.

When the car is swapped over to another driver, the issue seems to be resolved.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado Registered

I think it is important to reiterate that the car loses speed comparing to before going in the pits, even with damage considered. It is indeed unrealistic to have the same speeds depending on the damage, but it seems to be just unnecessarily harsh aero penalty which was fixed some builds ago. The fact you can't carry it over afte a driver swap is even more worrying as it can bring an unfair advantage just based on when the damage happens.

3. D Nichols

D Nichols Registered

I thought this had been confirmed as deliberate? The loss of speed is the other side of being able to repair the car so quickly and carry on.

4. Matheus Machado

It has been said that it was fixed, and you lose speed even if before the repairs it was fine.

I am all up for a system like Iracing, but it needs to be fair and proportional to the damage sustained. Not a small repair costing seconds of laptime.

D Nichols likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There has always been some sort of speed loss due to repaired damage. But, as noted by the OP, there still is the problem with repairs not fully recovering the speed, but then a driver swap magically DOES fix the problem.

6. It is NOT a bug, it is designed that way, the bug is actually what you call "the fix" where it get fixed on a swap.

Jason Whited likes this.
  7. kashif

kashif Registered

You're saying for a minor fender bender I should lose about half a second each straight AFTER FULLY repairing in the pits and never actually be able to fully repair it? That was INTENDED?

Because that's exactly what happened in my 24h Nurb race. Even the slightest damage repair causes this to happen. I'd understand if it was only major damage, but it really is, if you get tapped, your whole race is done at this point, even if you fully repair because it doesn't "fix" until a driver swap.

EDIT -
    Another thing that makes me question if this is intended or not is that fact that before the repairs (if you choose not to repair it), the car actually retains it's speed on the straight.. yet AFTER repairing... I lose more time on the straights? So in a way... I'm penalized for repairing my car and not being given a fully repaired car that's even slower.

This doesn't make sense to me.

8. You never really explained what kind of damage in the first post which is the one i refered to, i have no idea what amount of damage is needed, i just saw the "bug" being the loss of top end speed with damage and that is - like i said not been a bug and never have been.
    It is intended, and if you go as far back as rF1 you actually see the same behaviour.

9. kashif

kashif Registered

I should have clarified... the loss of speed is AFTER pitting for FULL repairs. If anything, the car is actually quicker BEFORE the repairs. The bug I'm describing kills straight line speed AFTER REPAIRING DAMAGE in the pits.

My mistake, I should have been more clear in my first post.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The repairs 'should' restore most of the lost speed after damage. But I believe the damage routine no longer operates as planned. Back in the rF1 days, detachable items such as wings or front splitters would create handling problems. They still do with rF2, but the repair does not seem to fix a large enough percentage of the damage to allow close to original speeds again. AND conversely, the loss of speed BEFORE the repairs isn't enough of a deterrent to rush immediately to the pits.
    We should examine with Motec the speed before damage, then before repairs and finally after repairs. This might show that the percentage of repairs is not high enough.
    Secondly, the BUG with multiplayer is not applicable to this damage discussion. It deserves it's own thread. It is a real problem that many teams have reported this past year. Two separate items that deter from proper online racing.

11. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Just a guess: you lost in the accident a flap or so, so you got less downforce but also less drag. This compensated for the overall loss of speed due to other car damage. After repair the flap was there again so overall drag increased, because other surface still suffered from damage penalty.
    Was your speed after accident exactly like before accident or slightly less or even faster?
    In any case the phenomen is interesting to read but without further data like a replay, log (showing damage history) or whatever it is unpossible to understand what was really going on

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And since rF1 it's been an undocumented and unmanageable (for mod makers) 'feature' so good luck trying to narrow it down.

Hopefully they can fix the apparent bug, and maybe at some point make it more configurable along with a damage model overhaul.

13. Goanna

Goanna Registered

14. Matheus Machado

Reading this is treated as a feature makes me really sad.

So yeah, any type of repair, both body only and full repairs trigger the aero penalty. Doesn’t matter if it was a suspension only issue, which had normal top speed (1kmh difference in Le Mans is within acceptable limits) and then you repair the car and have around 10kph less. Or a body tap which didn’t affect the car at all, but you forget to deselect body repair and get an aero penalty regardless, getting always the same top speeds of a repaired car.

It has been fixed before (only tested in single player) because as soon as I checked the patch notes, I don’t remember which car, I almost totaled the car, went for repairs and speed was fine after.

As soon as I have time I will come back to this post with a step by step supported by data as it is usual with my bug reports.

Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  15. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I echo the post i wrote in the discussion posted above by Goanna:

I'm not aware of this thing being fixed, and honestly i think if you repair the car, the drag malus should disappear always. Front-rear bumpers can be changed easily IRL, same for splitters, doors, wings, even rear mirrors. Having a permanent drag increase means you have some massive structural damages, and unless they introduce a advanced damages model, there is no point to have a permanet drag malus.
    So the bug is not the damage being fixed with the swap, but is the damage not being fixed with the repairs. If this is a feature, then is a wrong one with the current damage system.
    There are a lot of things that go wrong with damages and driver swap, as it happened to me twice recently with the steering wheel becoming bent after i take controll of the car, while for the previous driver was fine but with a light damage to a suspension.
    Or the car becoming undrivable after driver swaps and full repairs as the Matheus' detalied thread showed again for the Porsche GTE, things that happened to our direct competitors in the last year VEC 24h Le Mans, ruining their race.

Knowing how to go around these situations is the same thing as with the old bug of the tires, with the degradation not being carried on when swapping driver and not changing tires.
    Not everyone knows that you can fix the drag malus by swapping driver, and doing it is exploiting, as it was not changing tires when swapping drivers.
    All this mess needs be fixed, damage system must be clear in a way or another.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

The repairs during a race, most of the times are quick, to try to minimize the damage.
    If i remember correctly this feature is configured by the author of the car.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In rF1, one of the patches added about a dozen lines in the hdv that governed pit-stops and damage repair. Haven't peeked at 2 to know if those options are still there.

18. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@lagg the repairs are fast yes, but they are fast because they can change parts very easily. The higher is the category the faster are the repairs. Just look at F1 and how easily they change a wing, or i think it was at WEC, round at Fuji, where a Porsche lost a rear mirror and they just replaced the whole door during the pitstop, quick and easy.
    The use of tape is massive in endurance racing also, but i can't see how some tape could increase the drag, there are infinite variables which of course are not present in rF2.

19. lagg

lagg Registered

But we can see in these categories that a little damage can cause a big impact in aerodynamics.
    Depending on the car, the budget and the type of damage the result is different.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there were only a couple of lines, governing what could be repaired (aero, suspension) and how long each full repair takes. In league modding no combination of options was able to remove the 'drag after repairing damage' feature, that would indeed be a realistic and useful feature for many cars and specific types/levels of damage, but being hidden from the modder is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I can't speak for any unofficial patches, which may have added some extra functionality.