[WIP] Apex Modding - 1970 Sportscar Championship

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ApexModding, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Nice Project
    But I’m not sure that the above showed Alfa 33 and Matra are exactly from 1970 season...I think they can be from 1971-72
    Here some pictures of 1970’s cars
    32F38654-B007-4C52-8C8E-D6E1ABD3A1AB.gif B6595B9A-B42F-49CD-A9B0-C74463E5B68A.gif

2. Corti

Corti Registered

56.jpg 57.jpg 58.jpg

3. HSO_Frank

HSO_Frank Registered

Corti likes this.
  4. Corti

Corti Registered

It may be, the truth is that it is a car that had many changes. From the first model 1967 to 1977. I found some more image...

Attached Files:

Godwind Racing likes this.
  5. yoss

yoss Registered

6. yoss

yoss Registered

7. Bradley

Bradley Registered

Can't wait for whenever this mod comes out.

Gracie Dylan, billyblaze and Mauro like this.
  8. yoss

yoss Registered

We have updated our Porsche 917K to version 0.8. One of our team members had been pestering for a long time and now everyone gets to enjoy a better and more realistic driving experience.

This new release has a better garage setup that is conforming to the rules, reworked weight distribution, new lights, new steering wheel and a heel & toe option in the tuning menu!

If you haven't subscribed yet, do so below : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=782259180

the full change log is :
    Updated physics with real datas :
    - locked differential
    - Adjusted ride height
    - Reworked aero
    - Weight repartition modified

- Updated lights
    - New steering wheel 3d and art .
    - Added specific settings for gear and clutch in the showroom upgrade , try "heel and toe" with autocluch off for maximum realism

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  9. Mauro

Mauro Registered

.... what a wonderful world!

thanks guys for your work :)

atomed likes this.
  10. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Thanks for the update!!!!!!!!

11. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

v0.76 still showing in Launcher (not in game Car Selection tho) & in the folder with v0.80
    should the folder v0.76 just be deleted ??
    GREAT update btw !!

12. Filip

Filip Registered

The Porsche 917K is now more stable than I remember.
    At least on braking it seems so.
    But it's enjoyable as always.
    Thank you.

13. atomed

atomed Member

Great job, thank you so much.

14. ApexModding

ApexModding Registered

You can delete 0.76 folder yes

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Not sure if I should appear here, I am a bit of biased slightly different physics...

But I wanted to say that car is really awesome, and I don't think anyone could dislike anything about it. It just does things perfectly, and it is I'd say perfect. I'd say it is too perfect. The feel is perfect and the handling is perfect.

Some of my thought from little bit of testing at Sebring, Old SPA and Le Grand Circuit. And general thoughts.

The tires are loving being in the frictional limit. Sliding is extremely forgiving and ultra rewarding to overdriving. Thats why such stiff setup - stiff springs and stiff anti roll bars works well, apart from help of good downforce, the tires just can bear very much. The diff needs to be 75/75 afaik, so still little bit stronger. Cambers are quite big, probably real car used very little of camber. Real car also is observed to be quite compliant, so I'd argue very stiff overall car stiffness. Aerodynamics are really good, a lot of downforce and perfectly balanced at the same time, of which I'd doubt if it was so, while it surely would be engineers goal without a doubt. Aero is not adjustable, with this great downforce there is plenty of drag too (325km/h at LGC). However even with this much drag car is so incredibly planted and fast trhough bends that I easily did 3'09-3'10 at Old Spa and could do faster (IRL under 3'20 it was mad already) (I add screen shot to prove, fun fact - taking this screenshot resulted in game freeze, which lasted 4.1 seconds), which is slightly too fast, lets be honest. The car also shouldn't have a rev limiter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    jayarrbee36 and atomed like this.
  16. yoss

yoss Registered

We made a big step ahead with this 0.80 version , on the next version we adjust some little thing on this current version
    In the futur we surely provide more powerfull porsche !!
    Some one try the "hell and toe" upgrade with this car?

pkelly likes this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The ONLY car in real life I could Heel/toe was an old old battered Izuzu pickup. Brake pedal was close enuf to the throttle pedal that sometimes I did it accidentally as well.

18. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Porsche 917.
    There is a slight error with the car, car No-59 appears white. The error is in the teams mass file, the veh file for car No-59 has typo error, there is one to many full stops for the skin designation name. I corrected my download and repacked it and it now shows the correct colours for that car.
    I have always really enjoyed this car, to me it drives how a car of this era would drive unlike most of the older cars in rf2. The older cars in rf2 just seem too unstable and skittish to me, they won't even drive in a straight line. I just don't believe any team would produce a race car that will not drive in a straight line. It always feels as if your driving on ice and not very connected to the road, I know the tyres weren't as good then and lack of down force. This is just my opinion or my lack of driving skill. My lap times at La Grande are 3-9.0 to 3-10.0 and the fastest lap in 1971 was 3-13.9 set by J. Oliver during practice and the track had the Ford chicane then, so would explain the difference in times so I don't think this mod is to fast.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

from an article at Motorsport about Brian Redman:

“The 917 evolved into a very good car, but at first it was terrifying. Very early on, I got a call from Porsche to come and test it, and I thought, ‘Hmm, they’ve got 10 drivers in the team – why do they want me?’ So I said I had some very important business, but I’d see if I could put it off, and I’d call them back in an hour. I rang Siffert: ‘Seppi, have you tested out the 917 yet?’ ‘No, no, Brian. Not me. We let the others find out what breaks first…’

“I drove one in practice at Le Mans in ‘69, and it was the fastest I ever went there – 238mph. But the thing was all over the road; going down the Mulsanne Straight you were constantly having to correct the steering, and you just hoped that when you arrived at the kink you were on the right side of the road… If you weren’t, you had to brake!

jimagn, yoss, jayarrbee36 and 2 others like this.
  20. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

The mod is for 1971 not 1969 so improvements would have been done by then, the handling Ford GT40 was also not very good when it first raced and we all know how good that was after improvements.