SOLVED query about files for joining server.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dawson, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dawson

dawson Registered

Hi,
    Have managed to set up a server,
    port forwarded my router, and created the mod using the MAS utility, (cars and tracks),
    initialized the dedicated server and can play against AI online alone.

server is on the same pc as when I race.

when a friend tries to join, he gets "Package not available" statement.

when he receives the message that "Package not available", does that mean he does not have the actual cars- and tracks in his package folder ?

helped him set it up RF2 and he does have the same mods/ tracks as I have, except the .rfcmp files are in the workshop folder.

so for the package to be available to him, do they need to be in the package folder, or does the ".rfmod" file I made for the dedicated server need to be in his package folder, e.g. "gt3-spa.rfmod"

I am able to actually copy files of the package that was created e.g. (gt3-spa.rfmod) from my PC and paste it into his PC rfactor2 package folder.
    he lives close by, downloading the packages every time a new event is created would kill the fun.
    prefer to just create many events, then just copy and then paste it into his system.

if this is possible, could there be an issue with paid DLC, (he has the same DLC as me).
    if I created a .rfmod file using my DLC and then pasted the mod e.g. gt3-spa.rfmod, will there be an issue, or is the DLC content registered through another means so the DLC being used is still legit ?

does the person joining the server also need to port forward ?

P.S. has been at this 4 days now.
    cheers.

2. dawson

dawson Registered

wow, finally found out what I did wrong.
    such a simple mistake, but from reading other posts, i assumed all boxes were meant to be ticked when creating the mod.

created the rfmod without ticking any of the boxes for cars or tracks, and it worked.

when ticking the boxes in the MAS utility it creates files that also need the cars tracks re-downloaded even if anyone joining has those mods.
    when not ticking the boxes they only need to download the script, or whatever its called, a very small file e.g 5kb.

it works, ran a race. such a simple mistake, but was so difficult to find the information online

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

It's good to see you fixed your problem.

I partly agree with your complaint.
    While it is clearly shown in this picture from the Steam Guide: rFactor 2 Quick Guide: Creating Custom RaceEvents
    554544322_preview_1_9_Select_done.png
    I think the guides could be improved.
    The guides :
    1: rFactor 2 Quick Guide: Hosting a Multiplayer Dedicated Server Using "RaceEvents"
    2: Setting up a Dedicated Server
    Should both include either the Creating Custom RaceEvents guide, or an easy to see link to the guide.

Hazi likes this.
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Agree, both should also have the extra steps required when using paid content on the server.

Hazi and ADSTA like this.
  5. dawson

dawson Registered

Unfortunately I watched a YouTube tutorial. Haven't had a good experience racing online. Screen goes black and get booted, after a few laps, or friend gets booted after track is loaded and in the pits.