Input lag

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by FORMULAEFAN71, Jan 1, 2020.

1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

idk if this has already been brought up/solved but I have a Thrustmaster TMX that I just set up but there is an input lag whenever I steer (I don’t think this lag is also with the throttle/brake). I tried messing with the steering sensitivity and steering rate but nothing with the lag changed

computer system settings?: (have no idea what they mean but could be helpful for someone who does)
    (found in “video res” panel in options menu)

intel core i7-6700hq cpu @ 2.60 GHz
    Resolution: 1929 x 1080
    Refresh rate: 60 Hz
    Anti aliasing: level 1
    Sync: off
    Fxaa: off
    Sorry if I made you cringe because I’m so nooby

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Usually video settings, unless you have your wheel plugged into a USB hub. Also check your screen/monitor settings, any sort of processing (smoothing, sharpening, contrast enhancement etc) will add output lag.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

Also check you don't have steering aid (F1) enabled by accident, this sometimes happens to me and make sure speed sensitivity is 0% in controller settings, this adds a sort of filter to steering inputs when at high speeds.

Lazza likes this.
  4. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

@Lazza i do have it plugged into a USB port

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to be clear, the wheel should be plugged directly into the PC, and preferably on the back (front ports should generally be ok, but sometimes they're poor - so rear is safer).

A USB hub plugs into the PC, and allows you to plug multiple devices into it - that's what you don't want to use for a wheel or other input device.

stonec made a good point there regarding the game settings and aid, as they can make the wheel feel like it's lagging. My reply assumed you were sitting in the car, not moving, and you could see the wheel was lagging behind your movement as you turned it. That can be input lag or output (video) lag, and takes some testing and experimenting to find and fix and is usually due to a few different things. If you feel like it's lagging as you drive it could be very many things.

6. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I don’t have a front or back, I have a laptop pc which I then plug into my tv.
    I turned all the assists off
    As I’m sitting in the garage, I quickly turn the wheel left then right and it clearly lags behind.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have to ask.
    Is the Thrustmaster Software installed and up to date?

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  8. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Yes, I just downloaded it earlier today an it was on v7 and on thrustmaster site, it says the latest is v7 so it is up to date

9. stonec

stonec Registered

TV's have inbuilt input lag, a couple of years ago the situation with TV's was really poor, but now I reckon you can buy ones with okish input lag. Still, a TV is never an optimal solution if you want to minimize lag. Some TV's may come with a "gaming mode" which attempts to minimize the issue.

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  10. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Ok, thank you for your help

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

So all the numbers on your Thrustmaster Control Panel match the numbers in the 3 red boxes ?
    tmx.PNG

Another thing you could try, In your Steam Library games list, right click on rFactor 2, then hover over Manage , then select Browse local files.
    That will open the rFactor 2 installation folder.
    Open the UserData folder, then open the player folder.
    You should see a file called Controller.JSON. double click that to open, you may have to select Notepad to open it.
    You want to find these lines;
    "Use thread":false,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with some drivers"

If the first line says false , like above, change it to true like below. Be careful you don't change anything except the letters.
    "Use thread":true,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with some drivers"
    Close Notepad and Save the file when asked.

12. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

It’s actually playable now and I think it worked, only problem is I’m getting a low fps