Inexplicable lags when crashing (sometime without crashes too...)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by pety100, Dec 29, 2019.

1. pety100

pety100 Registered

Here is a video I made today. I or others crash and the game lags. In the video, but you can see the fps and framerate in the top left corner. Sometimes it's worse and lasts longer than in this video. Sometime I get these kind of lags when I'm the only one on track, but these usually only a short lag.

But when I crash, I noticed, that every crash causes me lags. I can't race in a leauge with this, because for example there is a massive crash at the start in the first corner and the game starts to lag/freeze, so I can't even avoid the accident. Please help me to solve this problem. I think my config is super to this game, amd ryzen 5 1600 cpu, gtx1050 ti gpu, 16gb ram memory, the game is on a Samsung SSD.

I play in full hd with vsync (setting: video) on to avoid heavy screen tearing. Without vsync I have always 100+ fps, so with vsync the 60fps is easy for my computer. So I can't understand what is causing these lags.

I tried to reinstall Windows, put the game on HDD (I thought first that putting the game on the HDD has solved my problem, because when I drove alone on the track, the random lag spikes didn't come, but when I tried a race, i crashed directly, and there was the same big lag i mentioned before. So I don't know what should I do now, I think I tried everything.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your system specs are ok (remember this isn't a 2013 game, it needs quite a bit of power to run well), I wouldn't expect any CPU issues but check the Ctrl-C graphs when these happen just in case. GPU likewise isn't great but should be ok, and is unlikely related to cars crashing anyway.

You may want to look at audio drivers, potentially the extra sounds are causing issues though that's a bit of a rare one. I'm most curious about the CPU graph (Ctrl-C), you might have CPU throttling or the like which is causing issues. Make sure your windows power settings are set to Performance or similar.

PS What does the video show? I can see you have the CPU graph there (sorry, didn't watch properly before) which doesn't show any issues, but I can't see any lag either. ** Sorry, one more edit: I can see a lowering of FPS, but that's perhaps not too surprising. Your GPU isnt fantastic, and while it's able to do a constant 60fps most of the time it may dip sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

To my old bespectacled eyes, the FPS dropped to 50 during contact, not before and it was very brief.
    I didn't see any obvious lag or warping.
    I noticed no downshifting, 5th gear the whole time and what looked like half second +/- of the taco's rev limiter red light flashing just before impact.
    Maybe try turning down visible vehicles a bit.
    If you think it's lag it could even be something with your internet.

4. pety100

pety100 Registered

In other games I have some strange fps drop too. I installed another game, watch this:
    There are the cpu usage and gpu usage data on the left. Strange, especially from 30 seconds. Totally inexplicable fps drops. If I turn off vsync I have these lags too, but from 80fps to 73-75, which is still good. But when vsync is on, 60 fps drops down to 52-53... What the heck is this? Maybe a video card issue?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@pety100 fluctuating load is basically normal, even if your view isn't moving the game world can vary. So your fps won't be constant. When you have vsync on you obviously won't get higher than 60, while those slower frames will make it lower.

FPS is exactly that - per second. I can't see the frametimes on my phone but it's quite possible for some slow frames to drop the average, so even though you're averaging 72fps without sync it doesn't mean it will hold 60 with it on.

Maybe driver or setting related, or power management, or just normal.

6. pety100

pety100 Registered

I think its a video card problem.
    With vsync on when card usage is getting high (above 92-93%), I have lags, in all games. For example I have average 100 fps in rFactor 2 without any vsync or fps limiting, but the fps is always above 70. But when I set vsync to on (on 60hz, so this is a 60fps limit), I get lags when the video card usage reaches 92+ %. I have never heard before about this problem. I think this is a hardware problem. Maybe I will buy a new card, because this sucks... upload_2020-1-12_18-26-52.gif :( Anyway, thank you for trying to help me.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

@pety100 My guess is it's not a bug. When you get 92+% usage numbers with vsync on it means your video card is getting very close to the sync limit of being able to maintain 60 FPS. When it falls below this limit, the traditional vsync implementation meant FPS would drop down to 30, which would be perceived as a big stutter. Nvidia introduced something called "adaptive vsync" a couple of years ago in which the game would just drop to normal non-vsync mode if FPS goes under 60 and render whatever FPS is possible instead of jumping to 30, but I'm not sure what games have this mode implemented. Anyway, bottom line is, with 92% GPU usage you should probably lower graphic settings if you want to maintain vsync target FPS.

8. pety100

pety100 Registered

Ok, but I play with low fps, everything low, and I get sometimes 50 fps with a GTX 1050 Ti at the starts. This video card should do more than this.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you tried turning all vsync off and just setting a limit in the player file of say 63. You can only try.
    Have you got the latest drivers for your card?

"Max Framerate":63,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",

10. pety100

pety100 Registered

I tried, but frame limiters causing crazy screen tearing. I mean there is a lot of tearing line.

Check this video:

Here I have a lots of fps on low graphics, 120+ fps, but at start (3 minutes) when the first corner comes and cars start to brake on the brake point the fps drops down to between 60 and 70. And this is on low graphics with a 1050 ti...

In this live which I streamed today: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/545244168
    I have 110+ fps when I'm going alone on qualifying, but at start (from about 47 minutes) I have only ~55 fps in the first corner, but this is not the stable 55-60 fps, it's a bit laggy, but in the video you can't feel it.

In my league when I am racing, there are more guys with gtx 1050 ti paired with intel i5 and i7 cpus, but for them the game runs smoothly on even high graphics. So I can't understand why I can't race normally even in low-off graphics settings. :(

Maybe ryzen 5 1600 and gtx 1050 ti are not friends...?