SOLVED Graphic Setting for weak(er) CPU

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RKing, Dec 31, 2019.

1. RKing

RKing Registered

Greeting!
    I'm in the process of upgrading my PC. I have a the following now: (Question to follow)
    • AMD Radeon RX 5700, 8GB
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 x64-based PC
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
    • Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB
    • Available Physical Memory 18.6 GB
    • Total Virtual Memory 27.5 GB
    • Available Virtual Memory 19.4 GB
    • Page File Space 3.50 GB
    Question:
    The Radeon software states that I have all I need to run rF2 at maximum except for the CPU (The CPU is next upgrade). My graphics look great, but any idea what my setting should be for best balance between performance and appearance.
    I can run rF2 with full graphics and no lag, but not as smooth as I would like.
    I will keep playing with the settings, but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Cheers!
    upload_2019-12-31_12-54-44.png
    upload_2019-12-31_12-55-12.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Main CPU killer in rF2 is number of visible vehicles, followed by shadows, both are in-game settings.

DrivingFast and RKing like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And keep in mind, that Radeon software is more of a sales tool than a performance barometer. Your cpu does indeed meet the minimum, so they app does not suggest an upgrade for you. Interestingly, I have an older AMD vid card, but a stronger CPU, the I7-6700 and Radeon says I should replace both, with, of course, the latest AMD variants.

RKing likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

And not a very good one at that.
    No recommendation that an upgrade to a RX 5700 XT would deliver a boost to the gaming experience. ;)

5. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 graphics in general are not CPU consuming at all, the only real CPU bottleneck you get is from the fact that player physics and all AI cars (plus their physics) run on a single thread, so that thread at some point becomes the limiting factor when you start adding more AI cars. Anyway, for this AI issue it makes no difference if you upgrade to a six or eight core CPU, you are still limited by single thread performance.

RKing likes this.
  6. RKing

RKing Registered

Strange as well that I just noticed that my CPU (above) is now green.:confused: It was yellow...

I also backed off the setting in rF2 to High instead of Ultra. Big difference without much notice of graphic detail loss. I'm more interest in performance. No time to look at scenery.;)

7. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Risto Kappet and RKing like this.
  8. RKing

RKing Registered

9. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I think limiting the FPS leaves headroom for other processes etc to run without effecting rf2.

I used to let my mediocre pc run free and was getting over 140fps, and I'm currently playing around with different limits.

60fps looked like I was dropping frames, so tried 66 and it's smooth as silk.

Also, when left to run free, I was having dropped frames when running damplugin, but I've yet to test it while limiting the frame rate.

RKing likes this.
  10. RKing

RKing Registered

Thank's for all the help from you guys. Still working on it and getting better.
    Cheers

11. RKing

RKing Registered

P.S. I was away from rF2 for about 4 years (long story)...
    ...other than studio-397, are there any good rF2 site/forums? Also I may be interested in a good casual rF2/AMS leagues as well now that I have retired. I have done some modding, but not for rF2.
    Cheers!

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

13. RKing

RKing Registered

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I'm not sure, but it sounds like me 9 years ago, yeah. What did we do back then? The 1967 Trackpack?

15. RKing

RKing Registered

I think so. I did a lot of conversions back then, but was never good at the "graphic" side. I had a mild heart attack in 2012 and some of my memory from that period is blurred. I have since retired and did a bunch of AMS conversions and now looking at rF2.
    Cheers!

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Great to have you back then! I'm sure you will find everything you need within the forum. Performance is one of the main talking-points.

EDIT: Btw... leaving windows 10 to manage virtual memory automatically has saved at least one user a lot of hassle. So, not sure why you provided these information, but it is better to leave them alone nowadays.

RKing likes this.
  17. RKing

RKing Registered

Greeting!
    I have marked this thread as solved.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    My CPU rest at around 0% used. FPS averages around 60-84
    All circuits run great except Circuit d' Azure, which many people say they have issue.
    Finally, I moved all non sims off my root SD drive except rF2, iRacing, AMS, and F1 2019. (the latter being debatable as a sim. Haha)
    All other racing games to secondary SD.
    Cheers and happy new year!

Flaux likes this.