Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Garitt Gibsn

Garitt Gibsn Registered

I tested the new UI. Since I need the DevMode, I have completely installed rF2!
    Since then, my T300 has not worked as before. I uninstalled and reinstalled the T300 driver. No change, furthermore I freeze the screen every 10 seconds while driving, only very briefly, but not so mobile.

JimmyT likes this.
  2. rsync

rsync Registered

Hello,
    Bug: All tracks 20.382 km
    Regards

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

There is a pretty simple compromise: Put the most important stuff in the most visible area, put the less important stuff in the potentially cocealed area.
    To know, what is important, you need testing, something, that rF2 lacks very often, i have the feeling.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

you might have your screen set too low then(or your chair too low?), Your eyepoint, at least what I've always been told, is about 5/8ths of the vertical screen. So if you are looking directly level you should be focused just a little above the center of the monitor. Unless you are using a giganto screen or a very large round wheel, the bottom of the screen should be right around the top of the wheel housing. If I extend a ruler from the top of my wheel to the screen it connects right about where the SHARE THIS PAGE is located at the bottom of the web-page.
    Perhaps those skilled in kinesics? could dredge up proper sitting and viewing angles for monitors on desks.
    (I purposely did not include cockpits because almost everyone has a different seating location, angle, etc. The ones that mimic the F1 driver's recline would probably be the worst offender since the entire wheel would be above the normal line of sight. How do those F1 pilots see out of those cockpits?)

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

look on the screen that lists the tracks and cars, choose the option for all cars and events.

7. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Thanks.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Cockpits are the point. Of course with a normal desk and ergonomics it's not an issue.

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Something is wrong when I want to enter numeric digits in the setup name of a car (e.g. mcl_ns_10435), and by using the numpad: Only 9,5 and 3 is working. The other numerics do not work, they seem to shift the cursor. I checked it in the notepad editor, by numpad works fine :)
    Using the numerics of the main keyboard works.
    And please, for the skin selection: I may want to find a nice colour, so do not grey out the non-selected icons please! Currently I have to try out everything before finding a blue tone skin for example...

edit: modifying a setup item will reset the display of CURRENT to <Factory Default>, and not the current one with a * for indicating modified

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    F1Aussie likes this.
  10. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sure, but one person has their wheel just covering the center of the bottom of the screen, someone else has their wheel rim going higher leaving the bottom clear but obscuring higher up, etc. Unless you decide to leave all controls out of the bottom part of the screen the entire time you end up with someone, at some point, having to look around their wheel to see those controls. (buttons or information)

The new UI system should actually make it easier to allow an option for this (with various settings) because HTML etc is structured in a way that things can react to resizing in a defined manner. The old UI would need entirely new layouts for each option as the positions were defined in a static manner.

mixer61 likes this.
  12. rd.king

rd.king Registered

I can't stop the thinking of the crayon and Dr.Hibbard's thumb

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  13. Filip

Filip Registered

I'll give my feedback after trying new UI.
    Please take this as constructive critics from someone expecting efficient UI.

From single player tab I click on current car to change it
    [​IMG]

Following screen opens.
    [​IMG]

I click All cars and then search for "porsc". All is good for now.
    [​IMG]

Then I click on Porsche on the right which leads to
    [​IMG]

Basically nothing happens until I click select button.
    [​IMG]

This select button was unnecessary step. Btw notice wrong description leftover from Cortina Mk1 all along.
    Ok after clicking select button I get
    [​IMG]

On that screen I click Porsche 911 GT3 Cup logo. Result is…
    [​IMG]

I thought by clicking on Porsche 911 GT3 Cup logo I was clear in my intentions to select that particular car but it’s not enough as I need to click select button again. That step is definitely redundant and this select button should be removed in such phases.
    After clicking “select” finally Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is selected
    [​IMG]

and now I can choose skin. But my Porsche still has 140 BHP!
    I’ll choose skin so at least it looks good
    [​IMG]

After choosing skin and revising that I set up everything I am ready to go back to Race screen/tab/whatever. Therefore I click back button on the top left. Because this is back button right? It’ll ask if I have any unsaved changed so I should be safe.
    [​IMG]

“Back” button leads to…
    [​IMG]

In my knowledge I have never set up any favorite server and I don’t want to see favorite servers. In fact I was just setting up single player so probably after this pop-up screen closes and UI refreshes I’ll get to see my Porsche…
    [​IMG]

...nope. Hmmm, so that wasn’t “Back” button, it was “Cancel”. I have to do all that again and keep in mind to press that strange select button in the end. And if I don't use rf2 for a longer period I'll probably do this mistake again.

F1Aussie, elbo and DrivingFast like this.
  14. Filip

Filip Registered

Some more observations...

"Big" issues:
    1. Search is great addition! But it is not clear when text field is in focus and ready for input. I kept clicking on it waiting for cursor out of habit. This is big problem.
    2. Unnoticable difference between enabled and disabled options of garage setup screens. On my system if I look really closely I think maybe I see some difference just on - and + signs
    3. Annoying "loading your favorite servers" every few seconds when just checking some setting or doing whatever even though I am in single player mode and not looking for any servers. Maybe refreshing servers only if some time (few mins?) has passed after last refresh?
    4. I would like to see more uniform background colors across "modules". In a dark garage setup screen clicking Settings icon opens blindingly bright Settings screen. Lots of people play at night or in dark rooms, me included.

Nitpickings:
    1. As someone already suggested I also think Home is more appropriate than Start. Start reminds on race start (even more so as Race tab is on the right so I read "Start Race" and was afraid to press any of these)
    2. Track search doesn't include layouts. Search for "Nords" doesn't find anything as track name is Nurburgring. Maybe if layouts could be included while in All tracks mode. Or maybe this is stupid request

Overall I like modern look much more than old one and added search is helpful feature.

15. elbo

elbo Registered

Starting to think you could have used an extra year to work on this U.I.
    First session was ok apart from a few failures in the car selection menu.
    But now restarting a second session, all my controller files are corrupted...I now have to reassign every freaking button assignments for all the different car catagories and the force feed back is all screwed up.

Restarting to see if a reboot might help and now the game will not launch anymore...

Reverted to old UI, still wont launch

Verified files through steam...still wont launch

Dont think I will be reinstalling from scratch and reacquiring 120GB of content

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  16. Goanna

Goanna Registered

try cutting and pasting your user data folder to desktop and starting rF2.... has helped some previously.

17. Depco

Depco Registered

They really needed another 8-10 people working only on UI. Not 2-3 people being bounced around from DLC to DLC and then brought back to UI to try and remember where they left off. And before I get accused of not understanding how development works, I acknowledge that the people working on UI are not always the same as those working on DLC. My point is that S397, being a small development team, need more people in the development pipeline. It would help in development time, testing and quality control, and general mental health of the overall development team.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  18. Fer

Fer Registered

I think this is something they do in their spare time, they will have done the ui in two afternoons, and it seems as if they had not seen it until now, there are more worked mods, I think I will no longer buy dlc. In three or four years they will have already advanced something, I will see what there is.

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do this:

juanchioooo likes this.
  20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I've noticed a common denominator in posts like Fer's.
    They are full of details of what has, what hasn't, when it has been done and when it should have been done .
    Never a hint of how it should be done or demonstrating they posses the knowledge required to show how.
    Such a shame they don't enlighten us.

jayarrbee36 and McKiernan like this.