Where's the manual?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sonicviz, Dec 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I got rF1 and played it, and I got rf2 when it came out knowing it would be similar. Learning how it works isn't a 5 minute task, nor is learning to drive and set up a car in a sim. That's not for everyone and I accept that, but I don't like people with superiority complexes suggesting other users don't care or are sucking it up and being taken advantage of by devs.

I play it despite how it is, having worked out enough of it to make some headway and putting up with the shortfalls in the hope it improves - but not averse to trying other games if they seem worthwhile, either. I help people here when I can, knowing how difficult it can be, but apparently I'm also supposed to trash talk the devs every single time to avoid people like @GoldenBear telling me what I think and what I'm obviously not noticing with my small-mindedness. Lucky he's here.

So yeah, it is what it is. Put some work in and it's worth hanging around, but if you need your hand held the learning curve is steep.

nonamenow, JimmyT and Jason Whited like this.
  2. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

I do not know why you are upset. Can it be that your reading comprehension is not up to par? This is what I posted to you.

"You are missing the big picture. You seem to be of the crowd who has given up on proper support and now just go with the flow. But this is not how to run a business and will continue to hurt S397's bottom line, justifiably so."

Notice the word seem in there? It means I did not say you were one of the people I was talking about so just chill mate.

Sonicviz likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I said people like @GoldenBear , I wasn't referring to you specifically. Sorry for any confusion.

GoldenBear likes this.
  4. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

I'm actually fine. I'm not "upset" either. I just think it's total bs that devs don't provide proper technical documentation and/or manuals with their products.

I have multiple sims and I'm giving my feedback based on a first user experience with rFactor2 while placing myself into the position of someone who knows little about simracing (I know a lot more than you ASSume btw).

What I find really odious is the arrogance of "old users" who don't give a rats ass for new users into the simracing space. You're always going on about no one to play with on public servers, or how noobs want to dive bomb you all the time or they're too stupid to "drive proper" but you can't get it through your heads that it all starts from the first user experience.

And a great first user experience is all about providing a frictionless onboarding process which *drumroll* includes easy access to technical documentation.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

This is a problem with the whole simracing software industry. It's also a bs strawman argument to say "well, everybody does it". They didn't use to either, they used to provide very good technical manuals with games...including rF1 as was posted in #2 reply.

Some sims are getting better at it. ACC has a slightly improved setup process with presets and explanations in game, for example. At least they're trying.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you trying to offend, or what? We get it.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?search/6976878/&q=Manual&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

There isn't a manual. It would help if there was. Your brake bias example wasn't a good one because it's easy to test and generally defaults to one end or the other depending on car type (across all sims) but no doubt there are other things you'd like to know about. So in the absence of said manual, see if you can find info on here or ask.

7. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

Instead of attacking me for asking perfectly reasonable questions why don't you put the heat on the company to fix the problem then?

I have all the info I need, try thinking from the perspective of someone who is dipping their toe into the serious simracing software for the first time and who knows nothing.

What @GoldenBear said sums it up perfectly:

"You are missing the big picture. You seem to be of the crowd who has given up on proper support and now just go with the flow. But this is not how to run a business and will continue to hurt S397's bottom line, justifiably so."

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Put the heat on? By filling the forum with requests? It hasn't worked with a number of other things.

lagg likes this.
  9. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

Whatever.

10. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

It's ok to post your feedback but this thread is going into heavy duty rant mode.
    Not sure exactly how relevant a formal manual is 'today', not many people really read much unless it's 'in game'
    Which is why we are looking at getting more help in the new UI.
    (Thread is closed)

nonamenow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.