Where's the manual?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sonicviz, Dec 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

I've looked all over but can't find a manual that fully explains all the car setup options.
    All I can find is https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide which is beyond useless.

Surely there must be a manual that documents at least the car setup features?
    This has been out for years and there's no comprehensive documentation on the technical aspects?

For example, something as simple as the brake bias doesn't even give you a clue as to which number is the forward one and which one the rear. That's ridiculous, there's not even a tool tip!

Surely there must be something rather than have to do random forum/web searches to search for basic answers to what should in an accompanying technical manual?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

3. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

I have searched "all over" and found a lot of information but why is there no official user guide?
    There is not even a link to a manual on the rFactor2 steam store page.

And honestly, wtf should I even have to waste my time "searching all over" to find information which should be provided in an easily accessible use manual/guide I get with my product purchase?

I do have a bunch of generic setup guides from various sources, but it's disappointing to see a sim that everyone raves about doesn't even have any useful official up to date documentation. It really seems to be a trend now days that developers skimp on providing any form of real documentation and outsource it to the community, which results in a lot wasted time when you just want to look something up, and to be honest in a lot of cases the community is opinionated with conflicting information.

>>rFactor 2 setup guide google search

I've already bought the ": Sim Racers Performance Guide" which is the updated paid version of "rFactor 2 setup guide" which you mention.

That also doesn't even have the simple answer to the brake bias question (I asked the author, and the answer is the first number but why isn't it documented anywhere - I had to ask on Discord for an answer to a basic piece of information on technical setups).

And again, why should I have to spend more money (even a small cost) to buy a guide which should be provided with the product to begin with? Instead of pumping out DLC why don't they spend a bit of energy providing some proper technical product documentation/guide.

>>There's even big brother rF
    https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/339790/manuals/rFactorManual.pdf?t=1478097701

Thanks for that link, even though it's by ISI (the original dev, not the current IP owners) for rFactor1, from 2006, and literally 13 years out of date and not updated at all.

Is it such an unreasonable request to get some official documentation or proper in game help?
    There aren't even any in-game tool tips, just a short intro para to each section.

How long has this been sitting there https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide with nothing done to it?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Blind Dog and GoldenBear like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor is what it is. It's not very user friendly, maybe that will change one day. But you need to do a little work.

For example, brake bias: throw it all the way to one end and see what happens. Now try the other end. There's your answer, and faster than posting in here.

juanchioooo likes this.
  5. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

What you're really saying is the devs can't be bothered allocating time and money to properly document the system because their current user base will suck it up. I already figured that out, I'm just saying it's a pretty terrible attitude to take.

I know producing technical documentation isn't easy, I've done it myself professionally, but it's not like this is a new piece of software.

Blind Dog, Marisa, Mibrandt and 2 others like this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With a new UI and competition structure it nearly will be, effectively.

7. Sonicviz

Sonicviz Registered

Underneath it's still fundamentally the same in terms of engine interfaces<->UI controls to document, they are "just" refactored components of the new UI and backend modular architecture.

This is a really great video btw, but ironic that they can take the time to explain the architecture at a dev conference but not provide comprehensive and useful user documentation. I don't think they understand how good documentation is as much a marketing tool as it is to help users.

That UI design has also been in place for 2+ years looking at some videos.

In the good old days you could just RTFM, now you have to waste your fracking time experimenting and digging around for basic information because devs can't be bothered providing it.

GoldenBear likes this.
  8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I don't recall there being much documentation of rF1 and rF2 carried on the tradition. S397 showed good intentions but it didn't come to anything much.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

erm...uhmmm....the uh, the EMPORER has the manual. Yes dat's the ticket! The EMmmmporer....once he's done reading it, he'll, well, he'll give to us...yeah sure....dat's right.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I hope he burns it instead of giving it to the demanding melodramatic moaner who needs a manual for "basic"information ...

Jason Whited likes this.
  11. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@ADSTA and @Lazza I think you'll find you've misinterpreted the OP's intent. He didn't want your information, he wanted to vent.
    I personally lay on the floor, kick my heels, pound my fists and scream incoherently when I throw a tantie. But each to his own.

Reiche, Jason Whited and ADSTA like this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Out of interest, how many other Racing Sims come with a Manual?

nonamenow likes this.
  13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Mario Kart

Dady Cairo likes this.
  14. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

"Instead of pumping out DLC why don't they spend a bit of energy providing some proper technical product documentation/guide."

This is exactly why the game is tanking in several ways now. They make unfinished DLC's and leave bugs that have been around for over a year broken and have refused from the start to make a decent manual for the game.

15. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

You are missing the big picture. You seem to be of the crowd who has given up on proper support and now just go with the flow. But this is not how to run a business and will continue to hurt S397's bottom line, justifiably so.

16. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Unprofessional, childish and uncalled for.

Blind Dog likes this.
  17. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

So because others do a half assed job gives S397 the logic to do likewise? That is just pathetic. In the real world most would be fired for doing their jobs only part way.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're putting words in my mouth. Don't tell me how I feel.

Did I say it's ok how it is? No.

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

He gets what he gives.
    I don't see you trying to help anybody here. Too busy shit stirring.

20. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

?
    He is correct to be peeved off whereas your post about him was "shit stirring".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.