Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

Feedback.
    Y tried the beta during 3 hours and only had two minor problems.
    • I use VR and tried to bought d'Azur in the "ingame Store". I couldn't buy it because i don't have controllers. I couldn't use the mouse in the store.
    • If you suscribe a content from the workshop and run the game, it loads the new content but you have to restart the game to use it.
    Yesterday we had a race and a drives tried the beta and realised that he couldn't change the fuel between qualy and race. I restarted the warmup, he changed to the old build and he could change the fuel.

Thanks for letting us to test this beta.

makan likes this.
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Latest Chaneglog
    - Fixed sporadic crash on start up
    - Removed old logo on start up
    Steam Public Beta Branch
    Build ID
    Client: 4512910

Travis, dylbie, gabrielof and 11 others like this.
  3. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

I think a bug tracker is of need for this, because of how little basic testing seams to have been done on this, and before people suggest the same bug to need fixing 40 times.

But here is the short list of bugs:
    -Selecting under Series (rfmod) the All Tracks & Cars produces the traditional freeze, but after that the sim unfreezes it becomes softlocked. You only option is to kill rf2 via taskmanager etc. (also you are stuck with the series selected)
    -After uninstalling the selected rfmod via the ingame package manager and going back to the main menu throws an error crashing rf2 (but you finally get all track & cars selected after restarting)
    -There is no "Are you sure?" prompts for deleting setups in the Setup Screen or mods in the Package manager.
    -The length is with all tracks 20km (not precisely 20km, I do not remember the precise number off the top of my head, seams like Only Nordschleife length, which shows up as track length on every track)

Clear issues with the design:
    -Move the package installation of steam mods out of the main menu and before the game loads.
    Currently you wait for 5min for it to start, then install the stuff and ask you for a reboot, so another 5min, and if it was a DLC car that was updated, you will be greeted to skin installation afterwards, after which again, restart, so you waste about 20min with just getting into the game that can be cut down with this to 5-10min. Or you fix that you do not have to relaunch the game, however I think that is unrealistic
    -Every time you open the race menu it loads the favorite servers
    This is a gigantic waste of everyone time. Make a dedicated multiplayer and singleplayer button (with the multiplayer starting immediately into the serverbrowser perhaps), or lazy load the servers into the box (meaning the user can start interacting with the interface while the servers are loaded in), but even if you intend to go online, this boy will just from probability not hold the correct server somebody wants
    Edit: Autodownload from servers does not work in the new UI. This feature has to return

Design Flaws with the setup screen:
    -Overview: The dots around the car for the sub sections are half haphazardly thrown around it.
    Make it orderly: The 3 side dependent one (Aero, Suspension and tire) should be put in front and behind it, the others above and below.
    -Setup Options that are not available can not be distinguished with those that are easily, using a lighter grey tone would make this easier
    --This applies also pluses/minuses that can not be pressed as the max/min has been reached (yes, you can see it by mousing over, but making it clear from the getgow does not require a user to move his mouse to see what he can do)
    --For cars with two way dampers (slow and fast dampening are adjusted together), the arrows for adjustment are shown and highlight when moused over but don't do anything. They should resume being not available setup options like in the old UI
    -Too many tabs. a lot of tabs are half empty, Tabs like Fuel, Electronics and Engine might as well be put together, also Brakes and Tires
    -Multiple tabs require scrolling (Chassis, Suspension and Gearing).
    This makes the menu time consuming to navigate and significantly less intuitive, as a consequence harder to learn and harder and more time consuming to find specific settings
    --move the bar from the bottom to the side, which would clear out more space at the bottom to use (hard to implement, and may cause a lot of other issues)
    --Decrease size of the setup options (may decrease readability, however the old design remained readable with way smaller sizes)
    --Split the front and rear suspension into two tabs, having most to all of the rear suspension hidden behind scrolling makes it pointless to have them share a page
    --Move the steering adjustment to the top of the Chassis section, it is way more used then you guys give it credit, and at the moment it is hidden at the absolute bottom
    -The Overview should be a pinned button in the scroll selection, so the player can return to it at any time without having to scroll through the bar to find it again
    -Overview: The dots show when comparing setups that under a certain section are differences ("x differences" in blue), this should also happen with changes (so showing in orange that there are "x changes")
    -Overview: Lack of setup notes. Sure, they are in the setup browser screen when saving (However, on the Overview we are starting to run out of space)

I do not understand what people had against the old layout for setups, as it was one of if not the best in simracing. In 4 tabs you had everything, you had one for setup selection and fuel, one for gearing, aero and engine, one for suspension, one for chassis (which has been copy pasted), and one for tires, brakes and electronics. How they were mixed was perhaps slightly weird, like aero sharing with gearing and engine, but you could not beat how quickly you can navigate it and get and overview over a setup.
    And certain settings being in weird tabs has been kept, like camber and caster not being in the suspension tab

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  4. makan

makan Registered

When I change graphic options like post effects, game still shows ISI logo.

5. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

The key assignment does not show the ALT modifiers anymore?
    Note that the key assignment is the worst of all games I played in the past and I hoped for improvement actually. E.g. you could not assign an ALT assignment to any function. Those which had ALT per default got it allways. That´s a unique stupid system in game world. Pressing ALT does assign the ALT key, for unknown reason. So for an assignment which expected alt like tire tgm display, you could assign ALT + "ALT" lol.
    I have not yet found the network settings?

Akela_DE likes this.
  6. Corgan

Corgan Registered

Well, I think it's great that finally we have the UI. Now just concentrate on other things you promised. On the credit page, when you exit the game I counted more than 50 names under S397, and more than 100 names as beta testers. I think it is quite a lot. So get back to work!;) By the way, if you scroll down on credit page (you can scroll down), under the "Special Thanks" credit you will find your name.:) I think it's a really nice gesture!

Marius Nicolae and D Nichols like this.
  7. Homed

Homed Registered

Hello,
    Nobody to help
    Thx

8. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

All went pretty smoothe 1PC and 2 servers updated few reboots on PC for content updates and all good :) like the new Ui look all seams to load quicker now too :)

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

New UI ruined my FOV, minimum is "9" (auto) and it goes to "100" is this correct? No "default" anymore! Will it be fixed?

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Say whaaaaat

11. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

The new UI makes me change my mind about the old one, I'm in love with the ancient version now. <3

12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I would like the new UI in the setup to have the front and rear suspensions side by side, this is specially useful when you want to compare things like dampers, ARB's and packers...

ECAR_Tracks and Tiago Lapa like this.
  13. Tech G

Tech G Registered

Thanks for the UI update and all the new content. Overall the new look is obviously much improved, which considering how old the previous UI was we kind of expected.

Others have already made a lot of comments about all the bugs and general functionality/layout issues, but for me the biggest disappointment is the car setup area. Not only does this provide a much worst user experience , but also much less relevant information than the previous UI, such as the tire temps and hot pressures, removing such key useful bits of data just makes no sense at all, as these things can actually assist in the car set up.

I think we all had actually hoped the Devs would expand upon such useful information, so rather than just put a new dress on the old UI that now reveals even less, maybe add some new functionality, like a tab with some basic Motec information such as max speed, max engine/oil temps, max brake temps, minimum ride heights, maybe even some FFB clipping info, etc. You know stuff that will actually help the driver make some setup decisions.

Also, why no new HUD with this beta release? I mean its been 2 years guys.

I know the rF2 tifosi will accuse me of complaining or worse, but I am just giving my feedback, which hopefully the Devs want. I really enjoy this game/sim and it is pretty much the only game I play, so it’s just sad the Devs keep missing opportunities, I mean the game looks and feels more modern, but the basic mechanics and bugs seem worst now than several years ago.

Anyway, again thanks for the UI and all the new content.

ECAR_Tracks, Ronnie and GoldenBear like this.
  14. Harri Blom

Harri Blom Registered

Thank you for your efforts Studio397. The new user interface looks refreshing.

I'm sure there will be lot of changes as the development continues. Couple of things that came to my mind:
    - a section for installed plugins
    - a section for HUDs
    - is there a possibility for some kind of trackmap in the future

Emery likes this.
  15. svictor

svictor Registered

Just some more general feedback from me and my friends:
    1. The new UI is pretty clean and stylish but lack good usability and functionality. The color choice is awful and hurts eyes, especially the red and orange stuff.
    2. Many previously "easy accessible" options are now split into even more small pieces (some features even no long exist), and many of them are placed in different pages/places that makes navigation and stuff finding very difficult and time consuming. Not user friendly at all.

The new UI is a good start. But it really needs better usability. It almost seems the UI is designed by people who don't really play this hardcore simulator, hope it's not the case. Looking forward to improvement.

GoldenBear likes this.
  16. Tech G

Tech G Registered

Hey Brack, I have generally been one of the lucky ones so far. My process for all updates is now this:

1. Let update install
    2. Do an integrity check
    3. Close steam and reboot
    4. Open rf2 to launcher only
    5. Close rF2
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5
    7. Start game normally (I hope)
    8. Cross my fingers and toes(party trick)

I have no idea if any of this stuff actually does anything, but it makes me feel like I tried my best :D. I am sure the Devs can give some better advise, but I hope it helps someone.

Emery and Brack Jabham like this.
  17. jonelsorell

jonelsorell Registered

Not working here either. rf2 logo, white screen, ctd. Tried several times with several settings in the configuration tool.

18. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

I don't think the "5%" is bad faith, no!
    I don't know what to say personally I did a brand new installation, I deleted all the rf2 files from my computer and now everything is clean!
    on discord there is a special UI section for dev or other answers!

Brack Jabham likes this.
  19. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Just a note. I found disabling reshade helped rf2 to start in the new ui.

though saying that i could have just hit the magic number of attempts to get in

currently getting some sort of memory allocation error after i had to crash out of the showroom. Will have a fiddle later as i had to get back to doing some work.

such fun. S397 needed to do this i think. Gotta bite that bullet at some point.

Beta out than in

20. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I like the new UI......
    [​IMG] :eek:

Levelup1, GuitarTech, Dookie and 8 others like this.