Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Beta is a software in a state of general funcionality. It should start, work and perform close, to what it is intended to. (Still with bugs and uncomplete functions, of course) This build doesn't even start and quits properly and sometimes ends up in a white screen and no response.

So instead of calling this stupid, you could use your precious time more, for reporting your impressions with the new build. Some less agonal respiration could do the whole thing a favour sometimes, you seem to notice bashing, where nothing like this was intended to. ;)

Cheers <3

An opinion is not always a generalization...just saying.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    ECAR_Tracks and GoldenBear like this.
  2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Well. I have tried every fix in this thread. No disrespect but this is actually an Alpha release not a Beta. I see well known community members having issues.
    Sure - perhaps none of us are on the test team - not even sure how to apply for that - but there are basic problems with this and no feedback (as I can see) from the test team. How did they work through the problems we have? I have a league race tomorrow, so will revert and advise everyone to do the same

3. CrimsonEminence

How dare you to say that! (just kidding :D couldn't resist)
    ----
    Also the new build doesn't quit properly, even if opted out of the public beta branch. Steam still shows rF2 running, when i've closed the game, this is definetly new with this update. I have to quit steam, because no process in the taskmanager is showing up, but steam recognizes a running game.

4. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

You know what? You're right. Sorry for snapping, it was just the final nail in the coffin for me after reading all those comments above yours.
    (you're still wrong about what determines a alpha/beta stage of a software tho)

I had a smooth run this new laser scanned UI. Opt in the beta branch and fired it up with no issues.
    I did like what I saw even tho I had to learn where all the thing were ones again. But pretty quickly I realized that those nice animations got a but frustrating as I learned the UI. I found myself waiting for the animation to complete just to do another click then wait for the animation again.
    Apart from this I found it pleasing to use, just need some more getting used to and a few changes here and there. Will have to use it some more for a full review.

5. CrimsonEminence

You have to decide that? ;) Beta is a pretty open terminology today, but it should at least fire up correctly.
    A build, that doesn't even start and properly on many systems, isn't yet releaseable for public in my opinion.
    (maybe some pressure to release something was holding back more time for tests, though. Just highly speculative :) )
    I'm glad that they decided to give us a sneak peak into the new look and feel of navigating through rF2, but the first impression is pretty cloudy in my eyes.

It even doesn't quit properly, so i have to force quit it through closing steam.
    After that, my wheel still shows "rF2" on the display, if the start of the build wasn't working properly and it CTDs (even then steam shows a running game). This is something very strange.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

When selecting a car all i have is a large ? (question mark) over where the image of the car should be , also some tracks like Portugal have the same ? (question mark ) also :(

Attached Files:

7. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Registered

UI does not work,everything goes to a blank white screen and nothing happens.
    Cleared my cbash and shaders folders.

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I like the fresh look of the new UI, but bloody hell it is hard to navigate, things are hidden all over the place with no simple way of trying to work it out. Took me 15 minutes to work out how to find how and where to select a track. The whole UI is not intuitive at all. When you view the cars when selecting them they still look blocky with very poor AA on them. Looking for servers every time you go to a certain screen is very annoying and slow, I hope this does not take months to fix.
    I have noticed that every track is 20.832 km long when selected. Nordschleife was the first one showing so I guess it is based off that.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I cant find my paid DLC ! The Endurance pack is nowhere to be found !

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I generally associate that pale grey as a lockup, usually windows will ask shortly, if I want to wait for rF2 to respond or kill it. But 3 times now, the whitish screen has disappeared and the new UI shows up.
    My biggest advice? once you press play, run the vid config tool and then press play again, then don't touch anything, no random mouse clicks. If you think it has hung on a grey screen, click somewhere near the center, you 'should' see the small windows circle indicating it is loading again. This has worked for me, but I think others are having similar but different issues. VR seems especially touchy.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

try the advice we use with the old ui, go to steam, and unsubscribe, exit steam and let it resubscribe. Good luck.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. Jeremy Fridd

Jeremy Fridd Registered

BUG REPORT: Setups seem broken, every time I load one, and go to make a change to anything, the default setup seem to reload itself.

13. Depco

Depco Registered

I suspect that the icons that display are not setup properly for those pieces of content (3rd party modded content?). All the Official S397 content just had an update for this very reason. Modders are likely going to have to update their content to get it to work right.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Turns out I still had one of my PorscheCCup customer grids loaded, as soon as I clicked all cars and tracks I can find my DLC :oops:
    Still have big question marks on some cars and a loading symbol on some tracks but at least I found my content.
    Sadly we still can't select specific car liveries and get all of "that" cars liveries!
    Heaps of work to do on this Ui, there are so many clicks just to do simple things and i really dislike how the cars selection always goes back to the far left or start instead of just going back to the brand you last selected.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Wait till you go to save, load, assign etc.a car setup.
    What used to be so practical with it's simple layout on half a page is now an operation the devs must get commission from every mouse click, pop up window, back and forth editing text because the cursor is no where to be seen. When you write notes I hope you have a good memory because when you save it, don'tr expect to see any of it.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

I had difficulty just figuring out how to chat while in the garage. The chat function was hidden behind a new clickable button. Not intuitive.

I am sure there is going to be a fairly steep learning curve, but really guys... If the goal was to make the new UI intuitive you have not been terribly successful. If it was to make it look cleaner I would say it is more successful but not fully there yet. Getting to the Multiplayer server list takes at least one more button push than it should. The multiplayer button should be on the home screen right next to the single player race button. Or, you should have all the race buttons on the home screen function the same as the one up in the upper left of the screen.

Also when in the Mod Manager I was not able to sort by installed/uninstalled. Did you take out the spreadsheet functions of the list, or is that function under another button yet?

Yet there are a few things I like so far. When there are options, such as server listings or menu buttons, there are multiple ways of configuring the results and options. New colors are pleasing to the eye. Loading screens are different and offer at least and overview of the track map.

Speaking of Track map. I am assuming that is not implemented yet. I was only able to get in a couple laps after updating and opting into the beta. I did not see any in car UI changes. I am using VR.

I see the potential here, but honestly I think alot of people are more interested in the Competition infrastructure. At this point though I dont see how it is going to be integrated into this new UI other than adding a button for Online competition. Could've done that without the entire UI rebuild. But this is why I am not a programmer or designer... No Vision or creativity.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Emery, ECAR_Tracks and Adam Helyes like this.
  17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey guys. Is there an option to up the resolution of the new UI? It is blurry on my screen. 3440x1440.

Old UI is sharp and fonts seem to have become more resolution. So, thats very nice. :)

BTW: I also like the new UI and found everything I need after a quick look around. (There is no way to select different huds at the moment, right?)

I like the new race-weekend screen with the map and the lil car-icons and the new setup menu. Also nice to change gfx settings within a race weekend.

Thx for now and I wish you all the best for optimizing the UX in the coming month.

18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Go into the video? options and play with Widescreen UI and stuff like that.

19. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Add me to list of those who can't get around the CTD issue.

20. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Thanks, looked in the Bin64 folder and thought it wouldn't be in the Bin32 folder either o_O

21. Jérémie Toussaint

Jérémie Toussaint Registered

New UI is blurry on 21/9 3440x1440 Screen.

A proper high resolution UI for widescreen will be very appreciated i think !