Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Maybe it's my fault but as a Mainly-Single-Player I do not see any advantages or additional features from the new UI. Actually I reverted to the old UI since my custom series created from Mas tool are not working properly and the old UI is faster. The agony on selecting opponents is basically the same, but perhaps I'm missing something. I'll wait for enhancements, for now keeping the previous interface.

2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

@Marcel
    Every track is wrongly displayed as 20.832 km 2019!

3. IronKnuckle124

IronKnuckle124 Registered

I know no one uses them but the music player buttons don't seem to work. Also there's no tyre wear setting when setting up a race. Other than that it looks good.

Emery likes this.
  4. Ricardo Böckmann

Ricardo Böckmann Registered

The beta client does not boot in the slightest for me.
    Whenever i try to launch it, i get greeted with folowing shema: I get asked for my admin priveleges ( which rfactor normaly dosn´t), then the windows console flickers open for an frame ore two, and then i am greeted with follwowing error: " rFactor 2 tries to start with the following parametes. " +path=".." +workshopsync "
    I can either press cancel, to close kill the game, ore proceed - which only makes the error messages longer each time.
    I tried ( with help from discord) to get an readout per "trace=3" but that didn´t gave me any readout´s either cause the game refuses to boot in beta state. I am now at following error:[​IMG]

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I've changed my mind from this morning and I'll be going back to old faithful.
    Apart from several issues already mentioned by others, I actually got rather pissed off when two 3rd party showrooms that worked earlier have now not only been replaced by the Hangar, they have have disappeared from my computer.
    Not impressed.

ECAR_Tracks and GoldenBear like this.
  6. J7166

J7166 Registered

So after I installed all the updates, I went and opted into the beta UI. Then once I launched rf2 I get to the home screen, I see the button bar at the top, but the entire screen is black. If I click any of the buttons like race or even settings, I still have a black screen. Anyone else have this issue?

Attached Files:

7. Depco

Depco Registered

Why do I need to click on the "race" button on the top of the screen to access multiplayer? For god sake. Both online and single player should be options from main menu.

8. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Another huge thing is not included in this cumbersome UI. How does one start a race events server? I can only lunch single player as I cannot find the option to start my servers up. Grrrr More clicking is needed now than in the old UI. Reverting back right now until I am forced to use this new mess of a UI.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have had to click on a grey/black screen when it appeared the UI hung while loading. As soon as I clicked on the interior of the screen, not the button bars, the rest of the ui loaded. Twice now at least.

10. djvicious

djvicious Registered

after 3 consecutive attempts the game loaded with the new UI.

The first thing I want to point out is the serious flickering and screen hangs. This has been an issue with the old UI for the last month or so. Maybe it's my drivers?

The new UI looks great so far, but it's a little on the wide side, especially with VR. Otherwise it's clean, crisp. It would be nice to see a more comprehensive tire temp display, like showing the core temps so we can better set the suspension up.

Otherwise great work!

11. Adam

Adam Registered

Issue - Using Steam VR
    If I launch the game with Steam VR active rF2 closes/crashes. I have to close Steam VR and let rF2 activate Steam VR

edit - disabling "use desktop game theatre while steamvr is active" seems to have helped this issue, thanks @Woodee

Also the steam warns that rF2 does not support VR when launching

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  12. Corvette 2008

Corvette 2008 Registered

How do you make an on line game, I must be missing something

13. J7166

J7166 Registered

I've tried clicking on the black screen, no luck though. How long was it taking for the black screen to go away after clicking? I'm waiting like 10 minutes and still just the black screen

14. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The new UI:
    -took 5 starts of rF2, to even get the build running, 2 more, to get the content installed properly (little gripe side note: 8 gigs or so just gone on my hard drive, i absolutely despise the way, rF2 fills my harddrive with decompressing and updating content, without saving space)
    -It's pretty slow
    -not that much more functionality, sometimes more convoluted, at least we can choose more sessions, than just 1 Race/Qualy/Praccy
    -Steam shows rF2 running, when i quit out.
    -Options menu went white and not responding for 3 times in a row
    -Where is the "Force Setup" in the car customization gone? Is it mandatory now for AI?
    -This is not a beta, it has some issues, that are going a step further, than just glitches and bugs...it's more of an alpha.

I think, i will opt out and still use the old UI, it's messy, but working more properly, yet. (I will opt-in from time to time, to give more impressions, of course it can't improve, if nobody uses it)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    VirusGR42, ECAR_Tracks and GoldenBear like this.
  15. Binny

Binny Guest

New UI, free content &cars updated could not be happier what a way to finish off the yr. Opted in had only 1 issue had to opt out to change from single screen to VR and then opt back in. IMHO i like it so far cannot wait to see what features the community wants integrated in the future. merry xmas all.

Obbzy_XR_ likes this.
  16. Copef1

Copef1 Registered

I cant get rF2 to run with or without the new UI. It just hangs on the rF2 loading screen and never progresses.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

You have to start it some more times...no joke unfortunately. Needed 5 starts or so :D

dazzer likes this.
  18. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

I've stayed quiet for a while but time to give my opinion now we have the keenly awaited UI. I haven't driven, just looked at the visuals and functionality of things while sitting in garage. Also these are just first impressions.
    Visually its not too bad, and should not take too much to get used to. Once mods are updated to suit the UI it will be better, but I will get to that later. One suggestion. Going from light to dark background is annoying. Pick one(or give a choice) and stick to it. Preferably the dark is better on the eyes.

Functionality as a driver/player seems OK. I would suggest that if the mod/HDV does not have an adjustment, then it does not show up(like the list of 12 vehicle adjustments) or have the option greyed out.
    There does not seem to be a HUD choice screen or showroom choice screen.

Now the integral part for myself. Functionality as a modder. This is in comparison to the old launcher.
    No easy access to MAS tool.(Still available via tools folder)
    No easy access to Dev mode, in fact it seems no access at all at the moment. This means no ttool, pttool. I have tried accessing via Steam launch options (pretty sure I got the conventions right). I tried launching via the Mod mode executable in Bin folders; this seems to just launch the main game giving access to all cars and tracks, not the moddev folder items.
    The fact that modders seem to be the last to get any information is pretty frustrating. For this UI rollout, there should have been info on how to update mods for the UI and a date to have files in ready for UI release.

Overall, my first impression is "We waited 2 years for this???" A UI that has less functionality than the old one.

19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

UI should be made to be fast, easy to navigate and with important info. Animations takes more time even though it "looks" cool. Making the UI you can get stuck in such stuff but using it is another thing entirely. Seems now there is more clicks to do the same things as in the current UI. Missing stuff im sure is due to beta status but having to be in the menu longer to do the same things as in the current UI i hope can get fixed, and animations should be a choice since its also a time eater. We want to see what we need as quick as possible and get out of the menu as quick as possible so that we can concentrate on the most important thing - driving. :)

20. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the one deciding that.
    If you don't know the difference between a alpha and a beta version of a software, then why do you even post stupid comments like that? Pick up a book or "google it" as it's called now days.