Deleting Steam Workshop Package Files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SL1DE, Dec 19, 2019.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I'm wondering if it's safe to delete the package files in my SteamApps/workshop/content folder?

Reason being because it's taking up 60GB of space and I don't really need them if the content is already installed. So is it safe to delete them, or will Steam try to redownload everything?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Steam will re-download.

SL1DE likes this.
  3. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Ah that's a shame. One of the cons of rF2 being on Steam now.

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

What you can do is copy all the stuff you want from ..\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 and paste it for now desktop or where ever.
    Then go to Steam workshop and unsubscribe from what ever you decide.
    Start rF2 and check the track and vehicle lists, they should be a bit lighter. Exit game. Start Launcher and check that the content manager is all clean.
    Now just get all of the .rfcmp files you kept in the first step and dump them all in the Packages folder.
    Start Launcher and install everything in the content manager.
    Once everything is installed you can delete everything from the Packages folder.

5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

But remember, if you do that, it won't update automatically if a later version appears in the workshop. (will it?)

6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

If you have a second disc you can move the folder there and put a symlink from the present folder, that’s what I’ve done. Still wastes 60 GB but no longer on your primary drive.

atomed, SL1DE, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yep, just subscribe, don't start anything, copy the rfcmp file from the 365960 folder and paste somewhere.
    Unsubscribe from Workshop. Start rf launcher. Uninstall old mod and quit launcher.
    New rfcmp into package folder and install, delete from package folder.
    O

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Would be lovely to tell steam a different location to store workshop content. A bigger second HDD for instance...

EDIT: @Seven Smiles do I need an app to create a symlink or is it possible within windows?

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Seven.......you've been paged
    I'm sure he has the trick :cool:

10. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

This did the trick for me, thanks Lazza!
    Thread > https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/amount-of-space-on-ssd-hdd.54170/

Seven Smiles likes this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@Lazza
    That might have to be updated as we don't have a cache folder any more.

12. Udokas

Udokas Registered

THIS IS WHAT GET WHEN TRYING TO START GAME PLAYED 6 HOURS NOW STUFFED

rFactor2 Content Inventory @ Dec 19 2019 8:47:02 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" contains an updated component "FVR SUPERCARS FG 6.93" no base component installed.

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" references a non-existent component "FVR SUPERCARS FG 6.93".

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" contains an updated component "FVR SUPERCARS NA 6.93" no base component installed.

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" references a non-existent component "FVR SUPERCARS NA 6.93".

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" contains an updated component "FVR SUPERCARS VF 6.93" no base component installed.

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" references a non-existent component "FVR SUPERCARS VF 6.93".

Mod "DUS_Superb_RND12 1.0" references a non-existent component "Newerburg 1.1".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_1 1.0" references a non-existent component "Phillip Island 0.65".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_1 1.0" references a non-existent component "RSM Racing V8s 0.85e".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Barbagallo_v2.3 2.3".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Bayraceway 2.1".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "HiddenValley 1.64".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Lakeside 1.1".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Pukekohe2013_1.7 1.7".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Queensland_2014 0.45".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "RSM Racing V8s 0.85e".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Sandown500_v1.81 1.81".

Mod "JFF_Xmas_5 1.0" references a non-existent component "Watkins_Glen_International 1.02".

Mod "S4_BMW_Test_v1 1.0" contains an updated component "BMW_M2_CS_2020 1.21" no base component installed.

Mod "S4_BMW_Test_v1 1.0" references a non-existent component "BMW_M2_CS_2020 1.21".

Mod "S4_BMW_Test_v1 1.0" references a non-existent component "Barbagallo_v2.3 2.3".

Mod "S4_BMW_Test_v1 1.0" references a non-existent component "GoldCoast 0.6b".

Mod "S4_BMW_Test_v1 1.0" references a non-existent component "RaceRfactor_Melbourne_2013 2.07"

13. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

I used the mklink command to move the workshop folder to an HDD instead, "saved" +60GB of space on the dedicated SSD in my installation.

Flaux likes this.
  14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes, I use
    Code:
    mklink /j "<Steam Folder>\steamapps\workshop" "D:\LinkedFromC\workshop"
    where <Steam Folder> is wherever you put Steam (default is c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)

The way I did it also saves another GB used by other Steam games I have that use a workshop folder (I moved the whole folder to my D drive). For just rF2 it would be
    Code:
    mklink /j "<Steam Folder>\steamapps\workshop\content\365960" "D:\LinkedFromC\workshop\content\365960"

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    atomed and Flaux like this.
  15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I forgot that I wrote a batch file :cool: to do the whole job - move the files and create the symlink. Note that you have to edit it before setting it loose.

Code:
    rem **********************************************
    rem Where the stuff will be moved to, EDIT TO SUIT
    set _hdd=k:\SteamOffSSD

rem Standard Steam location, EDIT IF you have it somewhere else
    set _steam=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam
    rem **********************************************

This comes without a warranty, use it at your own risk - I've seen too many weird things happen with non-standard Steam installs, non-English Windows and stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I keep a lean rf install with 1 or 2 other games and Steam on their own 300ish gig ssd.
    Trouble free

17. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Steam will NOT redownload items deleted from the packages folder. Please make sure to give proper information next time you try to help someone.

18. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Read the original post (first line will do) before proclaiming thou self righteousness......no one including the OP said anything about a packages folder.

Lazza and ADSTA like this.