What Rfactor 2 should sound like.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doddynco, Nov 7, 2019.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Here's a sample of the F186 being working on, with a little post processing. So the audio source in generated in game and i've then added a reverb and filter to simulate a sound upgrade which i think S397 should implement. So I guess this is a demo of what we can get if we nag Marcel like a hungry cat. This + sound travel time pleaseee @Marcel Offermans meowwwwwww

Automobilista already has some of this functionality as I found out by looking in an AMS SFX file:

DrivetrainLowPassDamping=0.25 //the strenght of low pass filter applied to drivetrain sounds (engine, gearbox, shift...)
    SurfaceLowPassDamping=1.0
    WindLowPassDamping=0.5
    EnviromentalLowPassDamping=1.0

DriveTrainLowPassMinRange=30.0
    DriveTrainLowPassMaxRange=120.0

OtherLowPassMinRange=1.0
    OtherLowPassMaxRange=20.0

LowPassRoadSpeedMult=2.0
    LowPassEngineSpeedMult=0.25
    LowPassWindSpeedMult=-2.0
    LowPassOtherSpeedMult=0.0

ResampleFilter=1

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Reiza did a lot of work on the audio front with AMS with good results given the sound-engine limitations.

Some of the most realistic racing sounds I've heard in any sim can be found in the RSS GT1 mod for Assetto Corsa imo. I'm sure they used real audio recordings to create the samples but, they are very well done and work well in fMod.

Sadly, convincing audio environmental effects tend to be low on the list of priorities for many developers - especially in regard to replay audio. I believe racing titles could benefit from a new approach to audio but, it would likely require a completely new audio-design architecture (i.e., hardware) that can cater to some very specific and complex environmental factors.

I'm sure developers such as Greg Hill have invested countless hours into coming up with new ways to render advanced audio effects for racing titles but, there really haven't been many big breakthroughs for quite some time.

doddynco likes this.
  3. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Registered

Wish rFactor 2 had great sound mods like Assetto Corsa does with ACFan's great sound mods. Takes that sim to a higher level.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What car is this?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Several of the LMP2 Oreca cars in the Enduroracers 2.0 mod. Specifically those LMP2 cars powered by a Nissan engine.

[​IMG]

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  6. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

RFactor 2 only has the barebones sounds. The basic processed ones without any details. It lacks the sounds that touch you in the soul.

alanamp and RedBarchetta like this.