How to drive Formula E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Dec 2, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Hey guys,

currently I'm trying to understand how to drive the Formula E cars.

1. First thing I noticed are the standard steering degrees (767°), I always use the real settings because I want to drive as realistic as possible, but that is a really big one that makes it so hard to drive, specially for all those hairpins, like I'm really starting to doubt that those cars have this big steering degree in real life?
    (For comparison most formula cars are using 360° - 450°, or less)

2. There are Two gears, should I always use the second gear or the first one to regain some energy (if this is even possible) ? Otherwise the first gear would be almost useless, maybe just for the start.

3. In real life there are those ''boost-zones'', is this a thing in rF2 as well?

Thanks for any informations :)

2. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Hello, not very good at the game, but can answer some of these q's
    1. Yes, the steering wheels do turn that much in real life, especially to get around some of the very tight hairpins
    Here is an onboard from when JEV crashed at monaco in 2017, you can see the steering wheel fly past what would be normal lock left and right as he hits the barriers:
    2. In real life, they only use first exiting the pits and starting the race. And yes, energy recovery is a thing for formula e in this sim. You can just use 2nd the whole race round, but I think I saw from one of Jimmy Broadbent's videos that he went into 1st for corners, can't remember why though.
    3. No, attack mode is not a thing in rf2
    Also remember to lift and coast as it is a major energy saving technique used in real life.
    Can't give you many other tips as I haven't gotten my wheel set up and I've only driven them with keyboard lol

HomieFFM and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Similar to ERS? How is this saved energy used/activated in-game?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there's a battery instead of a fuel tank, and some energy is put back in when braking. So it's not driver controlled as far as timing, but I think you can alter the harvesting level (much like adjustable engine braking).

HomieFFM, sherpa25 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  5. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Imagine the hybrid regen in an F1 car, but without the internal combustion engine attached.

The braking turns the kinetic energy into electical energy which recharges the battery. There's a similar system in the hybrid car I use at work, in that just lifting and coasting puts some extra juice back into the battery. So lift into the corner, slam on the brakes, get a bit of juice.

And since the battery has replaced good old fashioned jungle juice, the car deploys it itself with no input from the driver. Well, the driver's right foot deploys the power...

sherpa25, FORMULAEFAN71 and HomieFFM like this.
  7. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Thank you very much for the informations :) indeed the steeringwheel degree looks totally like 767°, as I do the same steering movement around that corner in rf2. Ok so I gonna stay with that setting, thanks for clarifying :) It's really insane that they have to drive a formula car like that, I would have thought that they also need a small steering degree for faster movement, but maybe that has something to do with the fact that they have to drive really smooth around corners for the regeneration stuff :D

That link helped very much thank you :)

But one thing is still left open, the first gear question:
    - should we use this gear also for recharge? like going into first gear before a hairpin?
    - or does it make more sense to drive all the time in second to use more of the lift and coast thing?
    (and just use the first gear for starting or driving out of the pitlane)

FORMULAEFAN71 and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  8. mr.Sw1tchblade

@HomieFFM
    Good questions indeed. I found myself using 1st gear in some slow corners and as engine braking. But at 1st gear you loose acceleration speed too,not only maximum speed.

HomieFFM likes this.
  9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

FORMULAEFAN71 and HomieFFM like this.
  10. mr.Sw1tchblade

I think better try it yourself. In case of EBM: better recuperation = longer braking distance.

sherpa25 likes this.
  11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Yes, will try it too. Was just hoping someone familiar with this could share more valuable info to help us novices better understand it much sooner. :)

FORMULAEFAN71 and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.