AMS2 vs rf2 visually

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tommy2Fingers, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

visually what do you guys think ? It's got better lighting "more sunshine looking" but truly not much better graphics. I am pretty sure reiza will make a great sim but my money is rf2 still out drives it.

2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

If AMS2 keeps (and updates) AMS1 physics + AI + PC2 graphics (with stunning weather environment) is going to b great.

My guess is that is going to be better than rf2 with more cars (and or dlc's). Maybe AMS2 will push S397 for being better so we ll keep our fingers crossed..

Tommy2Fingers likes this.
  3. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

It will bring some extra competition which is always good for the gamers :)

4. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

You have not seen what SMS Engine is capable off. Overall lightning, headlights, rain, fog, reflections, shadows is way ahead of RF2. Esp rain in RF2 is not good enough for 2019.
    SMS engine looks better and its much faster. Of course quality overall depends on the textures, reiza will use.
    And you compare a boring sunny day with rain up there, whats that good for ? ;)

makan and Haris1977 like this.
  5. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

well, will see. i just don't know if that engine can deliver rf2/AMS driving pleasure. Visually have to see more for me to go WOW, it's a step up.

6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

If they keep AMS's physics principal it would be equal (or better overall) than rf2. If not, then it wont be the talk of the town. I am pretty sure the AI, the environment (rain, overall quality, lighting, cars etc) - judging by PC2 - will be overwhelming, but the big question will be physics..So we will have to wait more i guess..

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Based on some AMS2 roadmaps and Renato interviews I'd say the engines are still similar on this part (there is no much reason to change everything if you are using isimotor based stuff, you update from there, just that) and it also looks like same situation as in rF2 more complex tire model need better attention on the rest of the physics so I'd say their driving will be at least above AMS1 and overall they got more features simulated than rf2 but they lack some important stuff and more mainstream content to attract ppl, I guess this is going to change if they sell well since they'll have more money to license the popular cars

I like the day time graphics of AMS2, weird enough the low sun part looks ugly to me

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Let's see shall we

9. makan

makan Registered

About AMS2's phyisics:
    Capture.JPG

The Iron Wolf and Will Mazeo like this.
  10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

No sim is perfect in its physics.. All of them Have flaws even rf2

makan likes this.
  11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I brought popcorn for all :p

Akela_DE, makan and LokiD like this.
  12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Only sweet please non of that salty lark

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IMO graphics are a lot better in AMS2, even though there might still be a candy here and there. rF2 graphics lacks quite a bit, but I like it more than AC graphics (when content is well made). I think there in rF2 is many issues with shadows, reflections, sky and the definition of fine detals, some strange looks in terms of alpha cuting and transparent objects such as windscreens, poor look of smoke, not impressive specularity shading.... and of course the performance.

In terms of physics, lets wait and see. It is already past the point when rF2 should have got a lot of its physics improved, but of course it probably mustn't if people still say that it is the best for that matter... So Reiza is welcome to kick this IMO, IMO already did that with their content pack for rF2...

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

AMS2 looks like that ENB graphics mod that people used in GTA San Andreas all those years ago.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Well, after that post by Renato my fears remain the same... :D

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Graphics engine looks good, but the Suzuka in that video looks poorly done. Curbs are too wide and low compared to real, trackside lacks any details, based on the bouncing of the car, surface looks like it's a low resolution scan from 2010, some elevation changes are wrong. This track looks much worse than the modded Matsusaka one in rF2. But then again, Codemasters uses 10 year old scans in their sims as well and nobody cares.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

I used it with GTR2, it was able to make it look miles ahead of its time, back then...so...if it looks that way, why not :p

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Even though we're all forming opinions ahead of time, it's pointless to speculate until we have it in our hands.

19. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

"Better" is relative. To some AMS 2 looks better than rF2, to others it doesn't. Some people like the look of triple A Hollywood movies with lots of digital effects for example, but to be honest ... they may look "good", but usually not very realistic. Often those effects are just way too much, sometime even real people and scenery doesn't look real because they post-processed these things to death. rFactor 2 has a very clean look (similar to AMS 1), but the lighting and the way it interacts with some surfaces isn't too good (yet?). Assetto Corsa Competizione has insanely detailed car models, high end effects and mostly great textures, but terrible anti aliasing. Gran Turismo Sport has great car models and insanely good post processing effects (at least in replays), but the tracks aren't very detailed. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

From what i've seen so far AMS 2 has very nice lighting, contrast and colors while the 3d models are just "good", which sounds bad in comparison, but i already liked their track models and colors in GSCE and AMS 1 a lot, just the car textures/material effects mostly weren't very good there (which partly is still an issue in rF2 as well ... at least the lighting doesn't always interact well with their pbr shaders). But the Madness Engine in PCars 2 and AMS 2 does allow some very nice material effects, textures and lightning and at least better anti aliasing than ACC.

I don't think AMS 2 will look as good as ACC with lots of super sampling or Gran Turismo Sport in replay mode, but i'm sure it will still look very good and a lot better than AMS 1. Nothing i've seen so far looks bad, just some things a bit unfinished. But that might just be because the game isn't finished yet.

And my personal opinion about this discussion is: Good lighting and interaction with materials/overall colors are way more important than insanely detailed 3d models, trees, high res textures etc. I mean: Look at RaceRoom Racing Experience. That's still an old DX9 engine, but look how good the colors and contrasts even for todays standards still look. It's technically very limited and it doesn't support weather effects or day/night cycles, dynamic light sources or advanced material effects ... but it still looks way better than most DX9 and even many DX11 games because it has a great art style.

And after all: Even the best looking game has to perform well, especially in a game that focussed on competition. And if they have to use 2d trees instead of 3d trees, that's absolutely okay for me. 3d trees in PC2 weren't too pretty anyways, especially in VR.

/endwalloftext

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Given the fact that the lighting in Raceroom is baked it makes it easier for them to get that nice and consistent art style. Nevertheless they have some great track artists.

Regarding AMS2, I think it's no surprise that it'll look better than rF2. Graphics quality was never an issue with the Madness engine. What stands out especialy is the sky rendering and that's from my POV the most important aspect why rF2 looks dated in comparison, besides some issues with reflections and shadows. On the other hand, rF2 performs quite well on my end with grid sizes of over 50 cars on tracks like Le Mans and I am quite sure that I won't get that anywhere else in the near future with that quality as most devs are moving away from modding support and grid sizes much bigger than 30 cars. And in that regard Reiza will have alot of work to do to get everything besides the great graphics fixed, because that's where PCars 1 and 2 really sucked. Suprisingly noone seems to complain about the turquoise tint in the AMS2 sky ... wierd. :p