rFactor1 to rFactor 2 Conversion Tutorial - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. SharD

SharD Registered

Maybe I will, I am not the best modmaker though, but I do have years of experience with making my own mods for F1 challenge 99-02, which is 95% the same as rFactor 2 in terms of mechanics. And I also got a huge library of cars that can be converted...

Mauro likes this.
  2. SharD

SharD Registered

So, I also spent about an hour converting the entire rFactor F1 1991 SR mod.. it works out of the box. Of course, it is unpolished and the physics and the graphics need to be updated. But it really wasn't difficult to convert it.

So, this begs the question.. why hasn't anyone done this before if it is so easy? RF2 is severely lacking in F1 content, but there is more than plenty available from other sources. Permissions? Bugs that I don't know of? Lack of realism?

3. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I've done it twice, first time was my 1999 WCP conversion (which kinda sucks now) and then the 1996 mod.
    So to answer your question - Of course permissions is one part of it, and tracking the creators down if they even still exist within the community. Not sure about anyone else but the main problem for me is time, it's very time consuming if you want to do it right with a high quality conversion and in the free time that I have I just haven't really felt like putting in work.

I'm sure time is part of it for others too, people have lives, jobs, etc. And it's sometimes hard to find enough free time and put your head down and work.

4. SharD

SharD Registered

Yes, very true, I don't have time to polish it either, and sometimes things just don't seem to work for strange reasons.

Thanks for the guide by the way, OP.

dylbie likes this.
  5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Thanks and some interesting points @SharD. F1SR have become ASR Formula: www.asrformula.com Some very good stuff there. As well as @SL1DE 's great conversions, there's also the 1975, 1986 and the 2013 mod here on this forum which are very good. But there are still a ton of rF1 mods which would still look great by today's standards which are rotting away in the nether regions of the internet.

The biggest problem is the complexity of rF2 and also partly the ease of modding in Assetto Corsa. A lot of good modders have grown frustrated and ditched rF2 and left. It is relatively easy to convert from rF1 to rF2, but the really hard part is to get the graphics updated, especially now with DX11, PBR and rain shaders. The rain implementation guide on the dev section here is comically long and complicated (I do plan on making a tutorial video about this soon). Also the physics are much more complicated, especially the black art of tyres. I've literally been begging for some generic tyres from Studio397 which they have done, but it's not comprehensive and still no street tyres.

The reason I wrote this tutorial in the first place was in the hope that people would come back and start converting their old mods from rF1. It's had a small success and I'm glad people are still using it today. But it's quite outdated now, and there's a few things which have changed. I'm sure a few posts back I said I'd update it with what I've learned since writing it in 2016, which I still plan to do. Just need to find that illusive 25th hour of the day!

philmcqueen, Mauro and SharD like this.
  6. SharD

SharD Registered

I noticed. For my personal mods I am not going to be picky about the graphics, as I don't have the time nor the patience to go through that. I will fix the shinyness and perhaps the headphysics, then I am happy. Another thing I noticed is that mods with the updated graphics tend to run choppily, while the unpolished mods don't have any FPS lag. As for the tyres I will probably use the ASR 2018 ones, as those give the best performance as far as I can see. The complexity is a shame, as most of the complex details don't really seem to add anything to the driving. A game that relies on mods should be relatively simple.

7. EMY

EMY Registered

I've converted the mods from 90 to 99 and I'm converting the mod 2000, I don't have the physics and currently I have an old pc that doesn't support the dx11. From January I should have the new PC .... I could pass some mods in the MODDEV version but I need time to upload everything.

Sorry for my English...

8. SharD

SharD Registered

Another issue I have ran into is that a converted car doesn't work when a single file is bugged or missing. I have converted a Simtek from F1C, but the car doesn't work ingame because one texture (a .tga file) is missing/broken. Is there any way to get around that?

*edit* I don't use moddev, I put the converted cars directly in the game.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SharD What would be the point of it "working" without all the files?

*edit: @SharD I may have misunderstood. I thought you were asking if it were possible to load/run the car despite missing files (textures etc)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  10. SharD

SharD Registered

All the files are there from the original F1C mod, but when I load the car into 3DsimEd one of the tyres gives a purple square. It means a texture is missing or not working. The missing/not working texture belongs to a material.

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Look for a 'shared' folder in the original mod. Some mods use shared textures if there's a lot of cars. Or just find the missing texture and assign a new one in 3dsimed.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Is the purple square a part of the tire surface or an additional surface that the other tires don't have?
    If it's a part of the tire surface, in 3dsimed, import the tire with that purple surface to an own window and a tire that looks well to a new window.
    Then copy the whole material of the properly looking tire to the one with the purple surface, including the materialname and used textures, that they use the identical material.

13. Ford Frost28

Ford Frost28 Registered

I guess it's my turn to come in here with my own problem, eh?

As of right now these two messages intertwined with one another are my Achilles heal. I followed this guide so far to a t, and everything works in the showroom mode, so the cars themselves are by no means the issue
    [​IMG]
    However, when I go to load up a race anywhere, in either Moddev or regular rFactor 2, I get this pair of messages. Can someone perhaps break down these two messages and tell me what it's saying, and help come up with a solution with me?

[​IMG] upload_2019-12-1_5-15-40.png

14. SharD

SharD Registered

Thank you, will try that.

15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Read the error message. ;)
    In the showroom the driver don't gets loaded.
    It gets loaded when you click race and the message says, that the texture rfactor_driversuit, which is normally a dds file, can not be found.
    And because of that, the material, that uses that texture can not be loaded and so the car won't be loaded properly probably.
    I guess you have taken the driver from another car but you didn't take all the textures that the driver uses too.
    So get all the drivers textures and the problem is solved.

16. Mauro

Mauro Registered

thanks @dylbie for your great tutorial, very useful
    just made my first attempt of conversion

car load well in devmod but if i add an AI, devmod crash loading track..... :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  17. SharD

SharD Registered

How to reduce the shinyness of those tyres?

18. tuki

tuki Registered

l'm converting "Kodi Rayzor RC1" and "Lienz RHC".
    l have some problems about converting cars.

Problem1
    All of cars converted from rF1 can't use Headlights.
    Problem2
    they have no TGM files and i have to make them.
    How to make same level TGM with original ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjJZoyWYKwM

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  19. Mauro

Mauro Registered

hi guys
    i'm totally new of modding

one question
    i have my car in devmod.
    now i want to edit shaders materials (ex. deformable tire)
    i open tyres in 3dsimed, i change them but how i can save?
    i tried to export them on rf2 format, but when i reload them shaders aren't changed......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Corti and Pauli Partanen like this.
  20. Dyson

Dyson Registered

Hi guys

I converting my first mod and I have the car In game and can drive it. I need to update shaders etc so it looks better but I can only get some sounds. I’m getting tyre and gear change sound but no engine sounds. What would be causing this? I followed the instructions exactly.