POLL // How important are physics a priority for you for rF2 (your wish for the rF2 future) ?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How important are physics a priority for you for rF2 ? (your wish for the rF2 future)

1. I wish that physics remains about the same as today

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. I wish physics is a little better but not more

16 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. I hope that physics is significantly improved

27 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. I want physics to be S397's number one priority, ahead of other priorities

74 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The improvement of the physics as a whole does not seem to be in the priorities of S397 since the last 3 years (IMO).

I would like that to change, do not you ?

The purpose of this poll is to gather your wishes on this subject.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

The graphic is absolutely secondary to our segment / hobby. The most important thing is clearly the physics. I want to know as close as possible which vehicle feels like.

That's why I'm here at rF2.

Even original licenses are far less important. The base has to be right. That's the physics.

@DrivingFast

But how do you you think that S397 neglected physics?
    Due to lack of updates regarding the GT3 ?

3. Filip

Filip Registered

Poll doesn't make sense except last question.

Which amount would you like to win on lottery?
    a) 50 EUR
    b) 500 EUR
    c) 5000 EUR

Pauli Partanen and Spyro like this.
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To my knowledge, there has been very little physics improvement since S397 is here (3 years).

This is obviously not their priority.

In my opinion physics should be the number one priority, which is not the case.

And the poll is well done for people who answer honestly.
    There are many users, that would not be mentioned, whose priority for rF2 is not physics at all, it's not true.
    In addition, the poll is anonymous.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

"I wish physics is a little better but not more"

No one will vote for that option, the poll would have shut and they would still be unsure.....how little is too much to not be more. :confused:

No option for the people who want less physics affecting their bling. :rolleyes:

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Physics are all important , both ISI and S397 have done a great job on many many cars , some exceptions but most minor problems , Physics and tires are two different things and l think that’s why you feel S397 havnt advanced as the tire has taken a lot of the edge away from previous previous versions but you will probably find it’s actually more realistic levels of grip than previous iterations .

LokiD likes this.
  7. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Physics start to be lacking, thought, after so many years without further improvement...
    Dynamic weather ? No temperature effects
    Modern cars with sophisticated aero ? No effect of wind

atomed likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

so all the improvements to the tire files are NOT improvements?

9. theother5

theother5 Registered

IMHO, it's one slice of the pie that cannot be treated in isolation.
    So a vote for improved physics (which I hope i a given) is in essence a vote also for all the aspects which impact on the handling and feedback you get from the car model on track in sim, a.k.a. the physics.

atomed and SRGP like this.
  10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

A motorsport simulator needs to simulate more than just the tyre and the physics.

It's not rf2 the tyre simulator is it?!

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Exactly.
    Nothing can be number one priority forever, otherwise may as well use 8bit graphics or just numbers on the screen, no need for race rules, etc

atomed and The Iron Wolf like this.
  12. Emery

Emery Registered

You know the existing physics aren't broken, right? What you're really asking for are new physics features and making use of the new features.

13. Lgel

Lgel Registered

@DrivingFast

If you can trust numbers, Sim gamers seem to prefer an up to date graphical environment (Assetto Corsa & Competizione, PC2, etc.), with a lot of cars (complete GT3 line up for instance, Ferraris instead of Radicals), or a better on line racing environment (Iracing).

RF2 to survive (fund it's ongoing development) must sell copies and DLCs, it will struggle to survive, selling to a few devoted fans, who value a very complex, but unfinished tire model (WIP since 2012), and are willing to forget a lot of unfinished or buggy features.

S397 is a well managed business, not a blind bet, the slow progress of the development is very likely due to the limited amount of cash flow RF2 brings home.

Unless a sponsor fan of the product makes a really big donation, this will not change quickly.

We must trust S397 to know how to prioritize their development, their business depends on their good judgement.

Cheers.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Is this question to me Dave ? If so l believe it’s been a great improvement. To me weight transfer, yaw, roll, squat,dip and how that’s all transferred to steering rack and visually is the result of physics . CPM feel ,surface adhesion and wear/temp are another all important element that has certainly improved the reality of the sim.

David O'Reilly and davehenrie like this.
  15. AppieWe

AppieWe Registered

If physics should get priority what should get less attention they working on? Only answering this question is simple .. but better is if you know what will be getting dusty in de desk while working on the psychics

David O'Reilly and davehenrie like this.
  16. Igor

Igor Registered

I would rather have physics as the number 1 priority...

I do not know if it is due to the physics, or just the design of all the FWD cars I have tried in rfactor 2, but I struggle a lot finding good front wheel drive car in rfactor2... and let's not mention AWD (but I would like to try those too..)
    For me it is just not right how the Honda Civic BTCC and Renault Clio behave.... but not only regarding force feedback (as most of the people complain in forums), as also tire degradation, turn-in response and several other things.
    I do not have a huge experience, but I did drive FWD cars (Still drive them though), and even racing FWD (although it was nothing extreme as the BTCC Civic, but they were pretty close to the Clio... less hp but lighter cars)... and it is day and night difference

About the content we actually have is pretty good... there are a lot of tracks, a lot of leagues have their own tracks, we have certain tendency in including DLC Endurance Series cars (there are pleny of them, specially GT3 and GTE class), but we also enjoy of the new pack of Tatuus (with enormous possibilities to choose between).....
    I believe that there are more than enough good cars, and a good variety of circuits, specially the ones related to endurance series... I can even live with the current UI... I am used to it at least.. hahaha
    so the the obvious answer would be to focus in physics....

but I do not see the near future with physics DLC (it is possible, but difficult), so the easiest way to do business I guess it is by selling cars and tracks in DLCs

17. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I voted for "I hope that physics is significantly improved", but by that i don't mean that the rf2 physics wasn't good already. It's just that i think physics are one of the most important things in a sim so efforts on that side of things are appreciated.

atomed, Emery and DrivingFast like this.
  18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I totally agree. I haven't found any FW car that is worth having. Some times i think is the game's physics (or if like the game is RWD orientated). There are small details that cant be described here about those cars, unless you drive them. Really hope there is a FWD dlc update some day.

19. stonec

stonec Registered

Physics should always be a priority in sims. The problem is physics don't sell. I have noticed a trend where even developers of established sims mention less and less specifics about physics. There was a blog post about ACC updating their tire model from one contact point to five points, which was refreshing to read. But most of the talk these days, both from the community and developer side, is around DLC content. It seems that there is an established baseline for physics and developers are unwilling to go much further (or unable due to Moore's law halting). What is the next big thing in physics development of sims? To be honest I can't think of what it would be.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    David O'Reilly likes this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

What should be the first priority of rF2?
    Straight away i think, physics.
    But thinking carefully and taking in account the forum, it's not so simple.
    What about UI, Competition system, graphical performance, online stability, graphical errors, AI, amount of content and quality of this, overlays, standings, modding, etc?
    The important is the whole balance, setting aside the personal preferences.