rF2 performance since loading times were shortened

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Nov 12, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wonder if anyone has experienced worse rF2 performance since then ?

I found myself using rain and night way less. Picking less AI cars (even though I always limited amount of AI cars to be graphically presented). I found myself to be using latest S397 tracks less, as they has lots of detail. I have turned down several graphical settings. Still I find performance to be lacking at certain circumstances. Not only FPS drops, but I also can feel increased input lag, which as a result makes driving sharper cars unenjoyable and disconnecting in general.

I wonder if perhaps something is failing with my PC, or perhaps I have overlooked some other variables that could have messed things up for me. Could possibly some lower graphical settings result in actually worse performance ?

I wonder if something performance related was changed to shorten loading times before Nords release. Perhaps I should transfer my rF2 directory to SSD ? It used to be alright on HDD.

Amyone else experienced worse performance of rF2 ?

2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I got ghosting ui jitters in vr here when loading a track. Not sure if it's much slower?

McFlex likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well. When it is slower you know, game feels drunk then :D Even if FPS doesn't drop. Cars that are otherwise very dynamic and responsive becomes delayed on how they respond, you can see in game steering wheel rotating slower than the one on your desk/rig. Constant microstutters starts, game suddenly stops feeling alive, unlike when it runs perfectly smoothly.

4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Oh. No. I don't have anything like that.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

The type of drive or loading times shouldn't make any difference since the game isn't fetching stuff from the drive once it's done loading. When in the game, GPU VRAM is used to store all the textures etc. If GPU RAM is full, then the game attempts at loading things from system RAM (system RAM is much slower and will cause performance issues). If system RAM is also full, then the game will use the swap file from your hard drive, which will cause even more slowdowns. Anyway, the latter scenario is rare unless you have less than 8 GB of system RAM. The more likely bottleneck is the first one, where you run out of GPU VRAM.

Narrowbackwing and mantasisg like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you, it is more clear where I should look at now, perhaps I'll solve stuff. Is it possible that NVIDIA Experience app is messing anything up ? Or perhaps some of the latest drivers were bad for rF2 ?

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  7. Emery

Emery Registered

I'd definitely kill nVidia Experience.

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

It's been hard to tell. There does seem to be game engine issues. When I attempt to load a lot of cars, I do seem to get a game "slow motion" effect, where I got into slow motion, but the rest of the AI cars do not.

I know the problem could be with the number of cars and mod merging, but the frame rate itself seems decent.

I do hope that once this UI gets released, that the programmers can turn their attention to the game engine, because the UI isn't going to fix that.

9. joekart

joekart Registered

Hey mantasisg! I was in the same shit. I solved the problem by setting
    the power management mode on maximal performance in the nvidia control panel.
    I hope it will help!

woochoo, Emery and vegaguy5555 like this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

What are your specs? Just to compare to mine as I've had no problems since the last updates.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks for help, people ! I'll try the suggestions. By the way just as I turned on my PC now I got majorly unusual NVIDIA exp. update which even required a computer restart, so what a coincidence, will see if it changes anything.

My specs are quite midend:
    cpu: i5-7600k; RAM: 8GB; gpu: GTX 1060 6GB; I use 2560x1440 resolution + 100Hz refresh rate.

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

No problem my end haven’t noticed any difference , I only run Vr — tried 71 laps Brazil against 20 F1 Ai last night and ran flawlessly .

Ps you should have your Specs as your Signature can help when troubled shooting.

The Iron Wolf and mantasisg like this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

That might be it, I think.

That resolution might be JUST too much for the card to handle plus high graphics settings, especially with official content.

14. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

I agree. The game code has so many issues at the present time. Getting the UI/CS up and running before fixing the code will possibly be S397's final nail in the coffin. Do they not realise that trying to entice new users to buy the game only to find all the issues continually mentioned but not addressed in lieu of the UI/CS taking precedent will turn new players of the game away possibly for life?

Reading posts across multiple forums the number one thing I see is the complaints (justifiable) about the game bugs, lack of a transmission/clutch model and others far more than those wanting a new UI. When a maker of any product refuses to listen to the masses buying said product, it always comes back to bite them. Sorry for going off topic but since you mentioned the new UI, I believe my post is then on topic. ;)

VirusGR42 and Chris Lesperance like this.
  15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i have been having similar and inconsistent perf issues well below how the game used to perform. I noticed it starting around Feb. I've had massive struggles running rF2 with 3dsMax, and/or my DTV program or detached youtube browser windows at the same time.
    I checked and my control panel setting was "optimal" or something like that, which i've changed to maximum, and after three tests i've each time not had the severe fps trouble i was having. It's running much more like it used to. So if this continues and it's not a fluke, THANKS :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  16. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've been getting menu flickering at times and the game crashes back to the launcher after leaving track. These are new. Never had any strange issues with rF2 before.

GoldenBear likes this.
  17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Is your CPU bar (press control-C or Control-X, can't recall off the top of my head) maxing out? It's the purple one.

18. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'll have to double check. I couldn't remember that combination as well.

19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

So I've noticed more jitter in vr for sure since the last update.
    How do we shut off nVidia experience?

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just remembered that I had a free RAM slot. So I topped my RAM from 8Gb to 16Gb, and my rF2 experience got significantly better. I also replaced thermal paste, as I had to remove fan to insert RAM chip.

I noticed that my input lag reduced, possibly halved. It was perhaps about 80ms (just guess), now seems more like 40ms maybe.
    The constant microstuttering seems to be almost gone (always had it, except in dev mode). Haven't catched myself staring at loading screen today, I don't know where I was when I was loading tracks :D. Finally could actually use Nordschleife, and had some good driving there.

I used to turn off Nvidia experience, I also dusted out the PC, but those things didn't seem to have made noticeable difference.

I haven't attempted to increase power management level in Nvidia control panel yet, I suppose it would also do some good effect. But topping RAM seems to have made decent improvement for me already.

Maybe rF2 on steam should recommend 16GB RAM instead of 8GB ?