Latest Roadmap Update - September 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mister dog

mister dog Registered

"AI - A lot of attention was given to AI this month. One of the main differences vs AMS2 AI is that while the player physics run the SMS SETA Tyre Model, the AI runs on a Brush Model similar to what we had in AMS1 which was by and large the same as the player´s.

This means both models need to be developed for each tyre type so that the AI has tyres that match the characteristics and performance of the player be that on straights, in and out of corners, running cold, hot, under or over pressure, come rain or sunshine and over a wide range of difficulty and aggression settings - a lot of variables to fine tune.

Luckily we do have quite a bit of experience with a similar AI code and this fine tuning process, and elsewhere in the code SMS has been very thorough in making AI functions fully parametrized, making it an easier (if still time consuming) process to experiment and fine tune the AI to get them to perform, behave and battle as one would like in all conditions.

There´s still some ways to go to make things work smoothly accross the board, but the good news hopefully demonstrated in the previews below is that we have the resources we need to get the AI as good if not better than AMS1 already for initial release, and then build on that with new features to try make AI racing more satisfying than ever before."
    :p

Levelup1, Dookie, Juergen-BY and 4 others like this.
  2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

It is funny and sad how the rF2 UI has become a meme in the simracing community.
    What I look forward to the most now is reading the "Is this what you've spent the last 2 years on?" type of comments :D

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Unfortunately 3 years now.. from the November 2016 Roadmap:
    "Development has been focussing on the DX11 engine and laying down the groundwork for our new UI."

yoss and DrivingFast like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

bit like Brexit - im fed up of hearing about it and its delay!

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Emery which also means, the people still complaining about the UI not being here yet have been complaining for up to 3 years. I mean, I get the frustration, but why keep doing it?

Add to that, S397 already said that the new UI will, on release, be functionally basically the same as the existing one. Competition structure (of some sort) aside, it won't do anything special. We've known that for something like a year now - but there will, doubtless, be backlash at what will appear to the user to simply be a facelift of the existing UI.

6. RNelson

RNelson Registered

My life hasn't changed any because the new UI hasnt come out. And I suspect the release won't have any impact either....

AMillward and Rui Santos like this.
  7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Personally im fine with this UI and I’m not that interested in the online new competition structure but its damn laughable and same time frustrating that this thing had been announced 3-4 years ago and we still waiting for a beta.
    For me Studio397 should just abort it and admit they have failed to make it and concentrate their resources in improving the physics/ tire model, AI... more content ...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    GoldenBear, Mibrandt and fsuarez79 like this.
  8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Damn, you're right!! It's been sooo long I can't even tell the difference between 2 and 3 years! :D

I just do it for the memes tbh. Each day it passes it just makes it funnier.

Exactly my point. That's why I can't wait for all those "We've been waiting 3 years for this???" type of comments (including mine)

Exactly. This is the frustrating part about the whole UI thing, that more important areas could've gotten attention during the past 3 years.

Ronnie likes this.
  9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

My opinions are based on experience and knowledge pertaining to the subject.
    I have no software programming experience or knowledge apart from when I made my own rF2 HUD.
    Just learning how to do the HUD was frustrating and took a while and that was using ModDev mode with it's GUI.
    Using a GUI is not even close to software programming and writing code.
    So my opinion is they are trying to improve something that they were under no obligation to improve and in return they ask us for nothing.

Some people complain about having to wait for what is basically a free gift.
    A gift that took a lot of hard work by very smart people to accomplish.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree, though I've also seen people get the game during that time and complain about the UI. I don't get that.

Anyway, if it's so close to release/beta release now, throwing it away makes zero sense. Then you've really wasted 3 years for nothing.

Emery likes this.
  11. Depco

Depco Registered

They have said time and time again that the New UI has been rewritten from the ground up so they can more easily add things to it in the future. If anyone has tried to make a simple HUD, as ADSTA did, then they know how difficult it was to work with the old (current software). On top of that they wanted to integrate the New Competition Infrastructure into the UI. That I suspect was more complex than the "simple" UI facelift.

As much as I am frustrated by how long the UI and CI update have taken, I understand why it has taken so long. Hopefully it is not much longer now... ;):p

John and ADSTA like this.
  12. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

I read that and without a product to test, thats adware for me. What Ian Bell was belling about his best AI system ever!!!1" the last years was the same stuff. I still dont believe they completely rewrite the code. What i read in that text, is they change parameters. Thats what i expected. :p
    I would really like to be positively surprised and i buy AMS for sure. I own AMS1 btw. And the AI is ok to good but not better than RF2s

Enough of that. S397 should change their roadmap naming convention next year to 1/2020 etc. So it doesnt matter which month is... ;)

13. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

They also said that they did it in HTML because it's easy. But they only said that at the beginning, because if they told that now, after 3+ years, they'd look sillier. Now they just say what fits them ;)

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

3 years of UI development. Who would have thought.

I'm still naive enough to believe they will fix the dlc's. I dl'ed the challenger pack in the Halloween sale and the execution on the 3d models in this and the normal gt3 pack is sad to look at. Wheelarches reflecting the ouside, wheels in wrong places and wrong sizes, inconsistent mapping on the body of some cars. Then on top of that the turbo cars are louder than a V10 and so much more... (missing yellow strip on the 911 steeringwheel? haha)

The problem is...you wont make money patching these things... So... I don't know. It is just sad when stuff like that happens.

In rf1 you could just fix it by yourself and be happy.

Anyway. I'm still looking forward to rf2's development.

VirusGR42, John, Ronnie and 2 others like this.
  15. Marisa

Marisa Registered

I have given up on that. The cars received multiple updates and none fixed the most glaring issues. They are just going to pump out more DLCs that won't be as polished as they should be and ignore the complaints. From what I've read here and there they all work from their homes and the cars and sounds come from different contractors. I don't know much about 3D modeling but maybe they don't have access to the source files or something like that.
    I'm thinking for a while now that they should have taken the physics and FFB and just built a new sim around that. Could have called it rF3.
    But maybe they'll surprise us and once the new UI is out they start fixing long outstanding issues, like some of the DLC cars or the AI not knowing how to push a pedal gently.

16. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Let's just wait for the new thread ;)

lagg, Dady Cairo, RNeves and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.