HDR problem, please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bidle, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Hi Guys,

So finally my wife kicked me out the room with all of my gear, so got my own little corner and was able top do some upgrades. :) I also now discovered that HDR is still not working and thought it was because of the TV.
    My PC has a Nividia 2080ti and an I9 with 32mb, which is my PC from work and more than enough power/juice/etc.

I changed from a LG curved TV from 2018 to an Asus 35 monitor.
    In the beginning with the TV I couldn't get RF2 running in HDR mode. Somehow the TV always switched back. I thought it was the TV, but now with my new Asus 35 screen I got the same issue. I already changed a bunch of settings back and forward, but can't get it to work. Unfortunately I'm not an expert by far.

If I'm playing than with every notification or volume change the screen becomes black switches again to HDR for some seconds and than switches back. Which is very frustrating when you'r not on the straights. Only solution I have is to first change the settings in my PC to HDR off. Which is of course not a great thing to do.

As mentioned I've tried multiple changes to the settings. Let Nvidia be in charge of things other things be in charge. Change resolution settings, change refresh rate, change to force in 32bit, borderess/windowed/fullscreen. Even re-installed RF2 2 times, but nothing seem to work. Also cleaned the log files CBash, Shaders and removed the jason and config file. Just to start fresh, was recommended somewhere.
    Have no problems with other games like PC2, FH4, etc.
    Of course checked YouTube and Google for people with the same issue. So hopefully you guys can help me out??

I've also made a short movie to demonstrate the issue including some of the current settings. Thought it would be more helpful. You can see the switching happening when I turn up/down the volume (in top left corner).

ps. Movie is not public.
    ps2. Sorry, wanted to post this thread in the technical support section,... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. biancazzurro

biancazzurro Registered

Try to press alt-enter while loading the trsck. it solved my issue with nvidia 1070 and samsung monitor 144hz

Bidle likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2, like most PC games, doesn't support HDR, that's why. You need to have both the monitor, GPU, OS and game itself supporting it for it to work.

Bidle likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have no experience with Windows HDR, I'll admit I never even knew about it.
    All I can suggest is in the rF2 Video Setup select your 2080ti not Auto

edit: or go with Stonec's bad news.
    2nd edit: I think your 2080ti might be defective, you best send it to me for testing. ;)
    3rd and final edit: rF2 used to have it's own HDR profiles, still listed in the player.JSON.
    I think one reason it may have been disabled was because in night racing it was less dark (black) and easier to see which was an advantage. Anyone remember?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Bidle likes this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

HDR became a consistent calculated value in DX9 instead of a zillion different HDR profiles and then rF2 moved to DX11 with added features like bloom. Note that rF2's HDR is probably not the same as the more recent HDR implemented on TVs.

Bidle likes this.
  6. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Thanks, this seems to work for the smaller tracks (read shorter loading time), which is strange as I understand (Google) ALT+Enter is a toggle short-key for Full Screen. Also you it will basically turn of HDR as when I quit the screen notifies me it is back in HDR mode.
    If indeed the current RF2 version doesn't have HDR, than it is easier just to turn off HDR before running the game.

This indeed makes sense as the last YouTube upload regarding HDR I could find was from 2 years ago. Which, I assume is from the previous DX period.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried almost all combinations and nothing worked.

For now before starting RF2, I'll just have to switch HDR off. At least I've a solution till there is another update or other provided solution.

General comment:

It is a shame that this game is pretty complicated. As there are more people coming from the console to the PC and most of them choose something else. Only because of how complicated this game is to set-up right. Not only these settings, but also the DLC not in the 'normal' Steam, the VR set-up, all the plug-ins for a dashboard, explanation of the immense amount of settings, tyre working regarding the lower tyre pressure, etc, etc. So many questions after installing this game. Would be good if it would become a bit simpeler or more/better explanations/guidance.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and really appreciatie all the efforts. It's just something I've noticed also among friends making the same step and not choosing RF2, which is a shame.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019