Sequential | Paddle | H-Pattern - Shifter List request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Nice idea and online server would need an option to force gear shift style as it does with view

HomieFFM likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

It exists. It's not particularly affordable.

atomed and vitto like this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

Well, technically, unless you have the Pro-Sim H Shifter, the proper FFB hardware is still missing for most H-shifters.

4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So if I don't have a H shifter I can't race a car with H pattern on line, sounds elitist to me. :p I mean, it's all well and good if you have the money for these things but even a basic Fanatec costs a bucket of $$ down here in Oz.:oops:
    Capture.JPG
    This on top of the shipload of money I've already spent. And then I have to re engineer my rig to accommodate it.
    I don't mind if you want authenticity, but there is no need to force that on everyone, is there?

pkelly, HomieFFM and David Kolody like this.
  5. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

You picked one of the most expensive ones on the market xD ...
    Most people have one of these right here:

H-Shifter and Sequential Stick (Hybrid)
    shh.jpg (SHH)
    th8a.jpg (Thrustmaster TH8A)

and the Fanatec Shifter (which is quite expensive 350 Euro)

Sequential Stick (Standalone)
    aiologs.jpg (Aiologs Sequential Shifter)

I agree those shifters are not like the real thing, there is nothing very good on the market by now. But still it's a lot of fun to drive these different variations, it's a gamechanger.
    Driving an old H-Shifter Car with just the Paddle Shifters is possible but not very pleasent :confused:.
    Just for example, I'm using the Aiologs Sequential Shifter and it's so much more fun to drive around with it (Like in Dirt Rally 2.0 or R3E and rF2 - with the matching Cars). Thats why a list or information would be nice to have where you can use it. ;(

This is what I mean for example:
    example02.jpg

I agree, it would be not correct to force anybody to race with the H-shifter and so on... or that you can't join a server without a H-shifter xD... A lot of people are using the Fanatec Hybrid Shifter, even with the high price (Most budget rigs have a directly integrated shifter support)... but I have listed a few not so expensive shifter above.

It should be a personal choice ... the sad thing is if you go for realism in online races, you will be most of the times slower than the people who are just using paddleshifter for an H-shifter car. :D

But thats not where I want to go with this thread, at the end of the day it's about having fun.
    And I think a lot of people would be thankful for a Shifter and Clutch list/information for each car.
    Just an Idea for the new UI ... :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

My point was more about having a level playing field than excluding anyone. I’m sure that most people don’t have h gate shifters but if a league wants to be equal then why not? The server would need to have the option for free choice as well and I would expect that to be the most common. Leagues that want to be as close to the original experience can do that as well.

atomed, JimmyT and HomieFFM like this.
  7. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Just to add I don’t have an h gate shifter !

atomed and JimmyT like this.
  8. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

That could be a good idea for eaqual "realistic" racing... For those who want it. Sorry, I misunderstood your comment :)

But therefore we need rF2 to recognize the correct shifter type for each car at first.

atomed likes this.
  9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

wow this is very nice, thanks for sharing.

I believe at least some of those are sequential floor mounted IRL, but I guess that's one more limitation of rF2 at the moment.

HomieFFM likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Always worth bearing in mind that a program can't tell what you're using, whether it thinks it can or not.

Emery likes this.
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes, I’m relying on one entry which is just "Semi-automatic"

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

It could ask you to shift from 1st to 3rd before letting you race. Just seeing Neutral between gears is a fairly reliable test that you’re using a shifter of some sort.
    (Though some clever dick like me would come up with a workaround!)

dylbie likes this.
  13. jual

jual Registered

what kind of FFB should the Pro Sim H-shifter have ?

14. jual

jual Registered

the only way especially a race gets halfway realistic, anything else is a kind of cheating.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

And how many people will be in that server? How many people could be in?

I've heard alot of times that this is "cheating".
    If you've one screen and i have three, am i cheating?
    If you don't have clutch and i have, am i cheating?
    If you've one screen and i have VR, am i cheating?
    If you've a G27 and i have a DD with Heusinkveld pedals, am i cheating?
    etc, etc.

Dookie, JimmyT, vitto and 1 other person like this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Geez @lagg , you should be ashamed with all that cheating :p

Exactly :)

The best part is, if rF2 'limited' people to the correct controls many people would be happy. Then someone would mention a workaround they've found, and there'd be protests and discussions about it, and people would bemoan the fact that rF2 doesn't stop people doing it.

Meanwhile, other games also don't stop people doing it, and no one here says anything. Go figure.

lagg likes this.
  17. vitto

vitto Registered

thanks Emery, I wasn't aware of it, I withdraw what I wrote earlier. Am I open-mouthed:eek:, could I ... sell a kidney to buy a similar harware ?!

Jual
    the gearshift lever H when changing gears, if it fails it should scrape / vibrate and return to neutral (usually it happens in reality).
    in a medium-low range hardware, the lever goes to position, even in the event of an error, in the engaged gear position.
    this is the fake thing :(

Emery likes this.
  18. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Ok guys, we are getting a little bit out of topic... xD

Let's stay by the main question if studio 397 could provide us with shifter/clutch informations in the future.
    Just like in Dirt Rally 2.0 (look few posts above).

If that is possible then we maybe can talk about a recognition system that detects the correct shifter (h-shifter or sequential stick) if connected.

....and if that is possible then we can go to the topic shifter exclusive lobby's for those who want.

A lot of things and probably not the most important for the producers, but just those general shifter/clutch information listed for each car (with the new UI) is maybe possible without rewriting the whole sim, that could make a big difference imo.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  19. Emery

Emery Registered

Because it is the only one that simulates reality with FFB and that was my point. None of the other shifters have any FFB mechanism that will correctly kick a shifter into neutral. All the others are just button boxes with gates and have little bearing on reality; I currently own some worn out Logitech G25 shifters and a Fanatec shifter. The Logitech shifter isn't even a button box, rather it is clever adaptation of an analog joystick!

McKiernan likes this.
  20. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Yes the market is not evolved in that place. Heusinkveld had thrown one concept away because they wasn't happy with it, so it's not that easy to produce something compareable to reality. Let's see what they will come up with in the future, or maybe fanatec with the podium series will also bring something up in the next years.

But even a not so real h shifter is better than using paddleshifters for an car that never had those.
    Or the sequential stick shifter (Aiologs= very good quality).

But you don't know where to use it, except you are doing research, because there are no informations or recognition in the sim.

And to ask for that to maybe get this corrected in the future is the point of this thread.

Marisa likes this.