The upcoming UI: color and contrast adjustment?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Tobias Pitzer, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Personally, I would not mind if you could, whether InGame or in the player.JSON, the graphics could be personalized. Of course there is ReShade. But for me, it has only caused problems if I wanted to try it. In addition, with such programs, again a background program runs which affects the computer performance.

2. Mikk Quickmikk

Mikk Quickmikk Guest

Using reshade since the blueish tint came up, no prob, no impact, just one or two settings active, i can send you profile if u want to test Tobi.

3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I would add the gamma control, rF2 GFX engine has a completely wrong light exposure setting by default, it's like the Sun be a neutron star with 1/500 of the light emission.

gabrielof likes this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

Funny, I'd argue the complete opposite. If you check the content with the latest PBR shaders, I'd say the effect of direct sunlight is slightly too much, light materials have a tendency to gets blown very white and overexposed. The color temperature of the light seems slightly too cold in general as well. I don't think it needs any more contrast and gamma, rather less.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  5. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I think they are two different things, some excessive colour refraction from incorrect albedo leves and the overall scene light itself. Look at the image below and the input levels from every sample:

[​IMG]
    Note that original rF2 render has ridiculous amount of shadows (low RGB) in comparison to photoshoped version (top right) and a random real life onboard version (below). And please note it's a full sun-light, about midday! The rF2 world is simply too dark.

Yes, the lighter tarmac of real life photo biased the levels graphic, but still, the real world is brighter than the rF2 representation. And the shadows shouldn't be that dark at this time of day. In Nords, for example, this issue is forcing people to turn off shadows because our brain is not interpreting that darkness correctly and it harms the driving itself.

I know some people will say "I prefer the original version" but preferences really don't matter, it's not a matter of taste but analytics. The photoshoped version is what it is, a fake image render as an example. I think rF2 image was being criticized to be very "flat" from the launch and they tried to "fix" it by increasing the overall image contrast and it's produced too dark areas on the rendered image which won't match with a real world scene by any means.

Look at this PC2 screenshot: this is how world looks like. It's brighter. A similar SS in a nubby day in rF2 would appear almost night.
    [​IMG]

Below another example of horrible shadows/highlights balance in rF2. There's no residual light as if our Sun was extinguishing.
    [​IMG]

When I race rF2 I feel my eyes trying to correct something all the time and few days ago I realised that's the brain trying to conciliate the representation of the time of day with the dark shadows and low light areas what induces headache. I don't feel nothing similar even playing old engine rF1 games as Automobilista.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    SRGP, Akela_DE, Ronnie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

I'm not sure if I'll try it again with ReShade. The last attempts are that rFactor2 is not started anymore.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

In my case too.
    Do you play on laptop?
    I am wandering if it's hardware related.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Plus the crash, Reshade have eaten some FPS in my case. But indeed, you can get rid of blue tint with it.

9. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Yes, I also play on a laptop. Could possibly be due to the fact that 2 graphics cards are installed. Unfortunately, in most cases you can not disable the Onborad card, as it works with the second card, so to speak.

10. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

The ReShade causes lower FPS, I've already expected that. Is still another program that needs the computing power in the background.
    That you get away with it the blue coloring I could see unfortunately only on pictures and videos of other players.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  11. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

An update on ReShade. Have it now to get running on my laptop. It was not because an onboard and a Nvidia graphics card are installed. It had to do with the dxgi files do not work with the DX11 version. These must be renamed d3d11. I have tried 2 presets that work very well and cost virtually no performance. However, I would still find it better to implement such functions directly into the game.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

Thanks @Tobias Pitzer on your help on enabling Reshade, I finally managed to get it working but one preset from RD I tried (with only LUT option enabled which should remove blue tint iirc) looked horrible on my system. Colours were too bright, grass was almost neon-like. So I uninstalled Reshade, didn't have time to tinker more.

It is strange as everyone in RD comments praised that preset.
    Could be it heavily depends on monitor?

13. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Unfortunately, I do not know which preset you have used. I'm currently using the (ReShade) Better Colors LUT. Personally, I think it looks pretty good. But depends with certainty on the system, ie graphics card. With some older mods you can not notice such significant improvements. If this preset is too colorful, I recommend the B1 Technicolor preset. Both can be found on Racedepartment.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reshade-bettercolors-lut-rf2.23879/

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reshade-b1-technicolor.25019/

14. Filip

Filip Registered

I used the first one (Better Colors LUT) and had the same problem as bozwellox's comment. That was on Interlagos which is official content. I think I tried some other track too.
    I'll try other presets.

15. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Problems can occur when anti-aliasing is enabled because ReShade has integrated this setting. I've also disabled image sharpening and vertical synchrobization.