Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

2. blanes

blanes Registered

Now using openComposite and feels better than SteamVR in Rift cv1 for sure with higher smoother fps.

Everything would be perfect if Studio397 devs would please make a Full lock view to horizon so I no longer get headaches & nausea from driving.... Please !?

sherpa25 likes this.
  3. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Can anyone here recommend settings for the Valve Index to make it look great graphically, while still keeping fps over 80 if possible?
    I have an i7 8700k @ 4.8, RTX 2080Ti, 32gb ram, and M.2 SSD

4. Kalavera

Kalavera Registered

You can try this. Turn post processing off. AA level 3 and SteamVR SS is %122 (You will get pretty sharp image with good gpu headroom). You can pretty much go max with in-game settings but I would set shadows to high (you won`t notice the difference between max and high) and enviroment reflections to low (keep road reflections in ultra) and visible car count to around 14. You will stay above 80hz most of the time but this game is very cpu bound/badly optimized. You will go below 80 in some tracks, especially new ones and sadly there is nothing to do..

atomed likes this.
  5. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Thank you! i sincerely appreciate that!

6. Kalavera

Kalavera Registered

Hope that helps :). Can you please share your experience after trying the settings? I have i7 6700K and 2080 RTX. Because of CPU bottleneck can't get 80 hz :/. I am thinking about upgrading my CPU. I would like to know how often you hit 80hz constant.

By the way, I know 2080ti has 11 GB ram. I had memory problems with 8 GB, if yo have performance problems, try lowering texture quality to high (you don't need to go lower).

7. Jonas Windey

Jonas Windey Registered

The only thing that helps for me to maintain 80hz on my Index is setting circuit detail to low. I have a 2080ti and a Ryzen 2700 and circuit detail low is a huge difference. Opponent detail set to medium, 125% supersampling, all the rest can stay high.

8. Gambelli

Gambelli Registered

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my VR experience.

I have only had my Oculus Rift S for a few days, initially I was a bit underwhelmed, I found the screen door effect really obstructive to the experience, the resolution poorer than I'd hoped, and I just couldn't seem to gel with it all.

Anyway, after some very minor tweaks, I'm now very happy. Here's how I'm set up....

PC: i5 6700k, 16GB Ram, GTX 1070. No overclocking at all.
    Oculus home with Steam VR running as an app, Steam VR with Pixel Density set to 126%
    All settings on Medium with shadows, blur, raindrops etc on low

I have found that with these settings I am getting a solid 80fps with no dips at all, graphics card is stable at 59-62 degrees, CPU is at around 50-55 degrees.

I am so happy with the experience now, changing the Pixel Density helped a great deal, and even running at 140% my frame rate only occasionally dipped to around 65, I'm also running 14 visible cars. I feel that with some more tweaking and balancing I will be able to run comfortably at 140% PD and still maintain 80fps solid.

I haven't read every page of this thread, but I've read a lot, and I've read that a lot of people with specs much higher than mine can't seem to get the stability and frame rates I'm getting, I'm not sure what the answer to that is, all I know is at this stage I'm really happy with what I have.

In regards to the SDF, firstly I found that changing from my Bifocal glasses to my older glasses helped a great deal as the script isn't as strong for close up with my old ones, so that was a big improvement. The other thing was is that quite simply you get used to the SDF, and you learn to deal with it, when the immersion is so good in all other ways, the SDF just ceased to matter as much, though I do wish it was better, though I also notice that its far worse in rFactor than in the Oculus home or Steam VR lobby so I hazard to say there are more rFactor settings for me to experiment with yet.

I'll have to try some other games as a comparison, but if the effect was as low in rFactor as it is in Oculus Home, I'd be over the moon.

Can't wait to get on tomorrow and try Bathurst in VR.

One last thing actually. I found the amount of bouncing around far worse in the Studio 397 AMG GT than it was in the Studio 397 M6 GT... interesting....

9. PaladinUK

PaladinUK Registered

Index user here and I'm currently using SteamVR public release 1.7.15 (Non-beta) without issue.

However if I switch to the SteamVR beta, (currently 1.8.11), I get an odd glitch in the rf2 loading screen whereby a couple of images are projected and overlap in a strange way, depending on how I turn my head to look at the display. Plus the mouse cursor freezes.

Once I get to the menus, all is good and the sim runs without a problem. So my issue isn't game breaking, just a bit annoying.

Note that I've tried swapping the VR Projection Mode values in the Player.json between 0, default and 1 but it doesn't make any difference.

Not sure if this is a SteamVR or an rF2 issue so any ideas?

Many thanks.

Steve

Oldgamergazza likes this.
  10. lagg

lagg Registered

I'm using the beta and i have the double image too, but i haven't had any freeze

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    PaladinUK likes this.
  11. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Hi all,

Pretty new to RF2 and also to PC gaming. Really love the sim and only did PC2 before and it doesn’t come close. Might look nice but this is another level! :)

Still hope you’re willing to help me. Happy to be able to get my work pc (has a 2080ti and I7) to my home and than at home have it on a LG65C6. Which is okay for multiple games but not ideal for racing sim.
    This week me and the family pulled the trigger for VR and bought a Cosmos. Really great and got it working with PC2 and other games. Unfortunately struggling with the best sim RF2,....

1. When changing to the Beta version as mentioned in the link of the starting post. Al my paid DLC is not verified (it shows a list stating multiple lines one for each DLC; removed because not able to verify) and can’t use it. So it is loaded but than removed! Even tried to completely delete RF2 and re-install it, but had the same problem. And basically I’m in for the paid DLC.
    So had to set the Beta again on ‘None’. However I can get VR to work and don’t even need to start up the Steam VR first, but than the next issues/points.

2. As the PC is connected to the TV I can only select 60hz as max. I can’t select another monitor, only Monitor 1, which is the TV instead of the Vive Cosmos which of course can (needs to) do better!
    I’ve no idea how to overcome this issue.

3. Not sure if I need to set the resolution to 2880 x 1700 as this is the resolution of the Cosmos. Or if it is better to set it at 1920 x 1080?

My NOOB thoughts:
    1. At the moment really no solution for nr1. Since it is working with the regular install it might not be a problem? Also read the post of Lazza about ‘Opt out of all Beta’ Not sure what it means.

2. Only thing I can think of is buying a monitor just to get the Hz up,... which would be a real shame and will cause some convincing at home. :)
    Taking home the monitors from work is really not an option as it is all bolded to the walls.

3. This would be a matter of fine-tuning with trial and errors; right?

Again, thanks for your time reading this and willing to think with me. I’ve really read through many threads, but just can’t get it to work.
    It is frustrating to have the tools, but,.... just want to race!! ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  12. Magus

Magus Registered

1. You no longer need to change to the Beta version. Post 1 is outdated here and needs to be scrapped so as not to confuse new users.
    2. In the config menu you can choose HMD only or HMD and monitor. One will only show the gameplay in the headset, the other both on screen and monitor.

Once you go to the latest version of Rf2 (NOT BETA) a lot of your problems will be solved ;)

ALSO taking note from comments above you, you may want to avoid the Beta version of SteamVR at the moment.

Bidle likes this.
  13. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Thank you for your time!

Indeed with HMD+mirror it shows it also on the TV. HMD only will show on the TV a RF screen flickering very fast. Of course I can always just switch the TV off after starting up.

So basically HMD only will override the 60hz entry?

14. Magus

Magus Registered

Initially we noticed some improvement in performance when rF2 was introduced into (beta)VR by using the HMD setting only. To be honest, I have kept it this way since and not really needed to mirror it to my screen but I am not sure if the performance increase is still evident now there have been numerous updates in VR performance.

However, if you did wish to display what you were seeing on your TV, the 60Hz does not effect the refresh rate on your headset. That will depend on your PC's grunt vs graphical settings vs what car/track/ai combinations you have.

Bidle likes this.
  15. Kalavera

Kalavera Registered

Guys, I found out, there is a big vRam issue in rF2. Beside Texture quality and visible car count, SS rate and AA level is making it worse. And it causing really bad performance issues. I have 2080 with 8 GB ram and it is full all the time. Did anyone else notice that?

DrivingFast likes this.
  16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I have not yet measured the VRAM used, but I am sure to have a serious problem on the use of VRAM.

I just created a thread in the support part of the forum.

EDIT
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/settings-to-lower-in-priority-to-save-vram.64317/

Kalavera likes this.
  17. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

T
    thank you for all the info, I own an i7 8700 and GTX 1070 .. i should be able to run the game in Vr with a little bit of tweaking then.:)

18. Depco

Depco Registered

I currently run Oculus CV1 on a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1070 without any issues. Depending on the track used I typically am seeing 90 FPS. Certainly on the official S397 content I have no problems. Older less optimized tracks will cause a bit of a drop to 45 FPS, but it is still smooth due to the way Oculus software handles these drops. YMMV

juanchioooo likes this.
  19. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Would you think it is worth upgrading to a RTX 2070 Super with an I7 8700 ? Would VR performance drastically improve?

20. Depco

Depco Registered

Well the RTX 2070 super is about on par with GTX 1080/1080ti. Im not sure the cost of the card could be justified through pure FPS. If it were me I would stick with the 1070 until at least the next generation of graphics cards came out. But I am cheap.