Band-aid for AI craziness during Full-Course-Yellows - Slow down the SC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ECAR_Tracks, Oct 5, 2019.

1. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Ok, it's not a real fix, but still. Don't blame me. The AI will keep messing up but the field won't spread. At least it didn't in my side.

a) Short answer for those that are used to rF2 system: reduce your Speed Car speed to 60 km/h.

b) Long answer if you're not into the system details are below.

The only way I found to force the AI groups behind of Safety car is messing with track *.MAS files and PLR. Unfortunately you have to force the SC to run very slow (I tested with 60 km/h), but it's working for me. The AI cars are packed behind the SC and the things become more "normal" when it happens.

Since rF2 has so many variables to mess with, I cannot guarantee it will work in your system too but maybe it's a worth trying.

PLR file: make sure you have:
    "CURNT Safety Car Collidable":false,
    "CHAMP Safety Car Thresh":2, all instances in PLR file - this reduce the chance to have a safety car when it's really not necessary
    "AI Formation by Position":false,
    "Adjust Frozen Order":0,

Track manipulation:
    Choose the track you're intend to race at in ...SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\ and make a full directory copy.
    [​IMG]
    Give it some different name.

Open "MAS Utility" in Launcher and locate the new folder you created. Locate the layout (layouts) *.MAS you want to race. In this case I'll do for Brands - GP only
    [​IMG]

Extract the GDB file to any folder (maybe it's better to use the same you've just created to easy find)
    [​IMG]

Edit the bloody file with some text editor and look for the line: "FormationSpeedKPH"
    In this case (Brands) this line is missing. Add it, then save and close.

[​IMG]

Back to MAS Utility, open again the layout track file you picked up. Cut the GDB file off (it will delete the file). It will take a time to perform it, just wait.
    [​IMG]

Click on the "+" button and add the new GDB file that you inserted the FormationSpeedKPH line. Click on File > Save.

Now it's time to create the new package: on the box button again, "create single CMP package".
    [​IMG]

Fill the fields like the image. The location of the rcmp doesn't matter too much. Click in "Package" than in "Install" (don't forget that one). Check if the green box is lighten. Close the MAS Utility.
    [​IMG]

Testing:

In-game, select the new installed track. Be careful, the name can be the same of the regular version of the track. Make sure you picked the track version you've just installed. I gave a random version to it in MAS Utility to make the identification easier (in this case, 2.5)
    [​IMG]

Start a race event picking some position in the middle of the grid. Do something stupid on track to deploy the SC (this is the easier part for me).

[​IMG]

They will keep racing normally until the next lap. Keep up with the infront AI but be careful, they will brake suddenly at next lap open. Then let the AI drive your car.

[​IMG]

Jump to the race leader car and check his panel. It should be racing at 60 km/h (or the speed you have set in GDB file). If it doesn't, something has failed during the process.

[​IMG]

Some stupid AIs will brake anyway but once the SC is really slow they end up regrouping eventually.
    [​IMG]

That's it, as I said, is not a "fix", it's just a band-aid to avoid huge spreads and car groups after SC. Hope it helps someone. Sometimes, I tested overtaking the slow AI infront of me (even the system not asking me to do that) and let him pass, this helps to break the bug cycle as well.

JimmyT, ApexModding, Mauro and 4 others like this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

"Fixing rf2 since 2013"

ekki, Ronnie, ECAR_Tracks and 2 others like this.
  3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Let me add a bit. A more practical way to slow the safety car all around is by using the rFmod.

You may create a Racing Series by picking cars and tracks you want in the MAS Editor (Create a Mod) and use a custom *.rfmod. In this file you can add the line:

FormationSpeedKPH=60

So you're not obligated to mess with track files because the RFM file has priority over GDB track file. This way you don't have to keep a track copy in your HD/SSD nor to deal with online mismatch.

See you.

Emery and JimmyT like this.
  4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

You can extract the All Tracks & Cars_10.rfm file from the mas file in folder "\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\rFm" and edit it and then put it back into the mas file. In this .rfm file you can adjust the rules for the threshold for the deployment of SC and how many laps it stays out. You can also adjust rules for pit lane penalties so instead of stop - go you can make it drive through for speeding offences. You can also theoretically enforce Parc Ferme rules in there.
    One problem is that if there is an update, usually it rewrites the All Tracks & Cars_10.mas file with the original. What I have done is make the new .mas file with the new .rfm in it (to my preferences) and saved the .mas file elsewhere on the PC so when I get an update I just copy the my .mas into the \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\rFm folder again.
    Crude but sort of effective. :) Works for me anyway.

Oh, sorry here is an example. You would need to rename it to All Tracks & Cars_10.rfm and place it into the .mas file of the same name.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  5. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Thanks for the add.

Tested yesterday a number of tracks by forcing SC running at 60 km/h through rFM mod file and, indeed, the amount of issues during Full Course Yellows is very much lower.

As the SC get in the track at low speed the entire field quickly get together what significantly reduces the AI cars indecision if they should overtake or to be overtaken by any car. Yes, still have some clustering but now the FCY are not destroying the offline race anymore.

Don't argue me what it would be two 60 km/h laps at Nordschleife though lol.. Let the AI driving and go get a beer or a coffee.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Or a meal and a nap. :p

BTW when you update the All Tracks & Cars_10.mas file on your PC (as mentioned in the posts above), it doesn't cause mismatch with online races because the server sends you the .rfm file in the rfmod package.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    ECAR_Tracks and Emery like this.