Latest Roadmap Update - September 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mister dog

mister dog Registered

As I understand it one needs all the cars in a given event to be able to join the server correct? (don't know for sure as I own all of it anyway).

I think it would help the online popularity of Rf2 a great deal if you could just buy one DLC car for a given event and be able to join instead of having to buy whole packs. So let's say for the GT3 series we are currently organizing over at SRL; just buy the Benz or Bentley and you are able to race even if you don't own all the cars.

2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

No. Are you? Otherwise mind your own business

3. Balazs Floszmann

Balazs Floszmann Registered

Dissatisfied "offline children" LOL ...
    [​IMG]

4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

"We waited two years for THIS piece of junk?"

I hope people can be decent with the beta and give some sensible feedback.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I have to wonder if the offline stuff was put in front of online u would be the same. Yea probably.

Louis likes this.
  6. Balazs Floszmann

Balazs Floszmann Registered

Yeah, probably I would change the sim. Why don't You do the same? Asetto CC? As Iknow there is amazing career mode waiting for You!

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

You should try reading my posts. There may be a hint. P. S I don't do career modes. Just a custom season mode will do me. Xp and emails and crap I don't care for. Or how about an AI that overtakes in a draft. That's a great idea! Dam

8. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

Doesn't work properly afaik. Monthes ago I couldn't save the 2nd race and it's not solved until today I mean. But yes..be open and drive several sims make it easier to wait. Totally agree

Balazs Floszmann and LokiD like this.
  9. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Guys please stop bashing each other because of pc games.
    @LokiD
    You is the one of those people here who have real track experience. It's sad you not playing rf2 anymore.

Louis likes this.
  10. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

A bunch of reported posts on all sides, please everyone chill, this is really below standard. Just agree to disagree, and don't let others get a rise out of you so easily.
    You might have one issue you care about a lot that's fine, but getting angry doesn't help anything.

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Switch@

A handful of track days at most I'm no racing driver.

Maybe I'll get online when the ui comes, but for now as people say there's other sims.

I'm too long in the tooth for these forum arguments And name calling Just because you have an opinion I mean what's the point of forums otherwise.

If people want to call me a child because I play rf2 offline mostly and a little fed up with waiting.

Whatever I'm done..

Bernardo, Filip, Louis and 4 others like this.
  12. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

Enjoy the other sims and I hope we will see you back with rF2 soon.

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I guess with a lot going on over the summer, and a small team, its a bit much to expect too much in the way of "here's what the future direction is", when they will be focussed on executing to the current plan. Given SimExpo, Porsche FE, McLaren Shadow, and then the release of Nords and Porsche Cup car, that's a lot to do.

Some other posters though have mentioned that there isn't much interest from the 'rank and file' about things like Shadow, and I'd be one of those. It seems like an awful lot of effort for the return it generates to regular users of the sim. To support it, they obviously have to sort out issues with the multiplayer/competition and stop the bugs wrecking events.

I also see the frustration of those offline players, since much of the effort with the UI+competition system, is focussed on things they don't care about. It doesn't seem like we're going to get a UI that helps them with either offline championships or career mode type use cases in the first round. While I think online is important in this day and age, it also has to be true that probably most users of rF2 at the moment are doing so in offline mode. Yes, I expect some benefits to offline usage from a refresh of basic UI parts (car setups, session parameters etc.) but this is really a replacement of existing functionality, not adding new functionality like a career mode would be.

Similarly, we don't have much visibility to (a) AI improvements (b) physics or 'car systems' improvements [e.g. tire models, transmission models etc.] or (c) what types of content they want to develop, now Nords & Porsche Cup are out the door. Hopefully for (c), we'll get a sense of those areas they'd like to continue expanding (GT3/GTE, LMPs/HyperCars) and those they want to create (TCR, GT4, others). My big hope is that they are able to retain the art team and really start with creating more laser-scan tracks, that would be used to fill out endurance racing type scenarios both offline and online. Whilst iRacing have had a VLN series (all Nords, all the time) frankly I've not thought of Nords as much of a racing track, more a lapping track (i.e. used more offline than online). We've got Sebring and Le Mans, so we really need quite a few more. I'd hoped for a Spa announcement for instance. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd like to see developments or 'refresh' of some of the historic content (F1 74/75 and other eras to current standards, historical non laser-scanned tracks) maybe by partnership with 3rd parties as has been the case so far; I think that's the way to do it but S397 need to focus and organize it rather than just get individual 'random' bits of content, since all that does is fragment and not build community. I'm most keen for S397 to build some online endurance racing community especially since iRacing are dropping the ball with theirs (eliminated the WC team endurance racing series, loss of Blancpain etc.). I think there's an opportunity here, to get people pulling together for shared interests.

tpw likes this.
  14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Your argumentation only works if all people use the same content, wich most likely isn't the case. By your logic we could have Millions of players based on the possible installed and subscribed content combinations. I have to work with statistics on a daily basis so it is quite easy to see how people use them for their argumentation. So it might be better to make some calclulations on your end before you tell other people to do better math.

I think overall Steam Charts, SteamDb and SteamSpy give a pretty decent indication of how the population of a game is evolving and how active it is. And in that regard, you can argue as much as you want, S397 have accomplished a steady increase in owner numbers, average and peak player numbers from 2016 onwards, even giving Kunos and their newest baby a hard time.

As the average player numbers, the peak player numbers aren't showing the population of a userbase anyway, as those 1000 players could allways be different people so be careful with interpretations of those. Sadly Steam spy doesn't offer the precise owner numbers and the % of active players anymore, but I suspect this will look pretty similar. According to Steamspy we are somewhere between 200k and 500k, while even 200k would be quite a big increase from around 50k that we had in 2015. Anyway, for the people who argue that all people are going somewhere else, I would like to see better arguments. This doesn't seem like it:
    statistics.PNG

GeraArg and Emery like this.
  15. mr.Sw1tchblade

@hitm4k3r
    I mean take a look at the items in your inventory. Here you can see how many active subscribers this track have. Yes, some more people bought it too but i dont think total number of owners are much larger.

Also i dont think ACC (un)popularity depends from rf2 sales. This products are for different use. And i enjoy both. I also sure with new competition system for rf2 nothing will happend with iracing.
    1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I know how the inventory works.

Again, the amount of active subscribers for content aren't represenatitve for anything else than the amount of people who have that single piece of content installed via Steam, nothing else. What do you do with users who get their content from somewhere else or just don't use or buy any DLC? Are they allways the same people who are subsribed to Norschleife or anything else for that matter? I hope that shows that you logic is flawed. I haven't purchased the FE content, so by your logic I am not owning/using rF2.

My point about ACC was just to show that this market is very niche and that even new products can have a hard time, while infact rF2 is doing pretty well for the trouble that they had. Against other niche games like ArmA 3, the sim racing genre seems non existent, just to put that into perspective.

And yes, the amount of owners of the base game has increased quite alot. As said, in 2015 under ISI it was around 50k. Now we are somewhere between 200k and 500k. That's not just a little bit, but increasing the sales by atleast 400%. This makes me think that they did something right. How much exactly it is, is something that only S397 knows. My point is just, that people are overreacting as allways, calling it doomsday just because the Roadmap didn't touch the points that they would have like to read about. Waiting can be frustrating, I get that. But to constantly complain about how long it is taking while everthing that needed to be said, has been said allready for 100 times is indeed borderline whining. AI fixes, core feature updates and other requested stuff will come after the UI and Comp system is released, no matter how much people beat the dead horse. That's what people know since months. Yet there are still the same people who allways complain, that there aren't any mentions of AI fixes in the roadmaps ... surprise surprise.

If that is of concern for a user, he or she should take a break and come back later. Luckily there is a wide selection of products and content available these days, alot more than most of us can master in their lifetime. Peace and out

17. williang83

williang83 Registered

These are one of those stupid things to say! (like others here) There are two type of customers in videogame industry, those who want to see deep and solid core improvement that increase gameplay experience and those who want shallow and breadth contents who barely improve gameplay but rather offer an option addition.

This is nothing about whining,whingers, this is about life style. I will always pick quality over quantity night and day, gameplay over eyecandy, core improvements over single option addition (be it a track or a car but still it's a single option addition, it has little effect on the whole existing package).

EDIT: when you see so many shallow updates and zero core update after like 2 years you really start to get frustrated because game industry is full of bugged games that never meet the fixes promises.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  18. mr.Sw1tchblade

@hitm4k3r
    I am not trying to complain. I don't care much about pc software because i always have alternative solutions.At list at home. I am trying to say i don't think dlc sales is the S397 main income.

19. Depco

Depco Registered

As I recall They said that the logistics of how to do this in rF2 would be impossible. Because rF2 is a moddable and open system (at least non S397 content) the servers look to be sure the person joining has all content before letting them on the server. There is no way of downloading a car that a driver does not own. This is what a driver would need to do in order to have it work the way you are asking for.

This system works great for a game like iRacing where the content is in a closed system. The user can download the car and not have the availability to use it in a race. rF2's system simply does not allow for this type of flexibility.

20. Binny

Binny Guest

What i think the main problem with info on the new UI is in another post you said weeks its now become months and i think we would have liked to know what these issues were & what caused the delay and that we are continuing to move frwd in this area. When we get nothing like this IMHO im being kept in the dark for no reason if there is a delay say so and why. I think most ppl would prefer that than hardly anything.

Adam Helyes and Ronnie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.