Shadows and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by slimsymeat, Sep 27, 2019.

1. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of that ridiculous effect that runs along guard rails and shades everything in front of the car. Also shadows get culled when objects are still in view. For instance the new 911 Cup, the shadows under the rear wind get culled way too early so leaving the car in view with no rear wind shadow. Whilst I'm talking about new stuff why is there pop up with the new Nords. Various points things like tents and stadium get drawn in later than other stuff! As for Mirrors how is it immersive for everything to be culled and left with just a but of sky! I've deleted my plr and started again, no effect. BTW I have FPS to spare everything maxed.

Duvel and Moises Tarcis like this.
  2. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I use Nvidia inspector to enhance the look of Rfactor 2, under Anti-aliasing enhancing application setting and 2x or 4x Multisampling and 2x or 4x Sparse grid. Keeping Multisampling and sparse grid the same number. This helps to keep the image crisp. I also use - Remove the turquoise tint mod from Racedepartment.com for Reshade by Martin Fiala. The instructions are in the help section.

DrivingFast likes this.
  3. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

That's cool however is doesn't help with lod's and culling. That's down to the people that package the mods. Everything as a parameter and what I'd like to see is those extended. Say mirror for exampled, some mods may cull everything to scene or 100 meters. What about those of us with an i9 and 2080ti, there is no setting for say 200 meters or more. Same for shadows and that stupid shader that draws just ahead of the car.

4. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

2x or 4x Multisampling and 2x or 4x Sparse grid does help with shadows in front of you and along walls. On my system at least.

5. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

That makes them look pretty not when and where they are drawn!

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For mirrors, player.JSON:

"Rearview Cull":true,
    "Rearview Cull#":"Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file",

Set it to false so everything is in the mirrors.

"Rearview_Back_Clip":0,
    "Rearview_Back_Clip#":"Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)",

Set it to whatever distance you want things to be drawn to. 5000 should do it, and doesn't have a huge effect on performance.

I agree on the principle though - not only should parameters like these be in the UI, there should be more customisation available (like a general draw distance slider). On the flipside, we already get lots of people reporting technical or performance issues and after many many posts it comes down to something they changed or tweaked, so more options can be abused. Personally I'd still like them though.

slimsymeat and ADSTA like this.
  7. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

you can't.
    I have so many times said it....the devs don't answer....it's a big big big disappointement.....Nordschleife is ruined.....rf2 shadows ruin the graphics each time there are walls and barriers close to the road....sad

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Ya beat me to it Lazza. ;)

Yes I get the lovely shadow shadowing my every move.
    3 times as noticeable with triple monitors.

9. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

About the ugly shadows, can we have a dev answer, is it an issue with the 3d engine ??? is it fixable or not ? cause this issue is from the creation of rF2 by ISI....
    and honestly, it ruins all your work, Nordschleife feels ugly....we are forced to play without shadows, it breaks all my immersion....

Darkie (Racedepartement)
    RF2 has a problem that is really annoying me and it is present in almost all if not all of the rf2 tracks. I don't know how to call it...it is a shadow that is running with you about 50 meters in front of you and it is visible on this track as well from the videos I have seen, on the armco... I have no idea what/why it is there(shadow issues?), but for me is really distracting and annoying. On this track looks to be mild...but on some other tracks it is a lot more visible and across the whole width of the track and I cannot get rid of it no matter what graphic settings I use.
    https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...eife-now-available.173612/page-5#post-3048467

Darcy Parkinson (Discord)
    like those shadows on ether side of the barriers that follow you

Koly (Discord)
    I Have reported so many times in support or here....just put shadows on med
    it's so sad
    rF2 graphics has always a big issue....
    we are forced to play at medium to remove the shadows issue, so sad...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Paulfield likes this.
  10. geg

geg Registered

Shadows on med does not fix the problem for me. Could we have an official answer from studio397 on this? Should be a priority.

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Nope it's not an issue with anything other than rf2... It's a long standing issue that's been here since isi days. Most likely unfixable without a new engine overhaul.

But least we have nice material textures lol

12. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Yes this issue is annoying. Probably unfixable, at least easily.
    The silence from Studio 397 is deafening.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Duvel likes this.
  13. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

Apart from the annoying barriers and stuff when the gfx change as in front of you, the way I used to get round this was edit the camera view file. Was so easy but now everything has to be in a package etc.. and the engine ignores loose files. I hate this and you have to uppack and repack and off course paid content is encrypted so you can't and then there's online mismatch.

14. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

I know how to decrypt all the encrypted files...talk me in private we will discuss about the fix for the ugly shadows for the offline mode cause the devs don't move

RealGT and slimsymeat like this.
  15. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Theres is no way to decrypt the new tracks and cars,just saying,only old stuf from Isi could be decrypted whit bms,but not anymore,also theres is nothing to be decrypted,since the scn file is not encrypted,only gmts and textures are encrypted,i have done it for dev mod,to remove the crowds,animations,vans etc.

16. Rastas

Rastas Registered

The only way to improve shadows is reworking the graphics engine,theres nothing you can do on track himself to improve the shadows.