Porsche GT3 Cup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inactive user 0001, Sep 27, 2019.

1. With the release of the new Porsche GT3 Cup I have to ask before I buy; will it be continued sold as a single piece or will it be bundled with something else in the near future? I am a bit reluctant to buy just to find out soon after that I need to buy the same thing again for a full price. (The McLaren 650 debacle is still fresh in my mind).

2ndLastJedi and chisco85 like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Mclaren was released early to allow everyone to participate in the Mclaren Shadow online competition. But, rest assured, there were plenty others who felt the same as you.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

If you feel that as a debacle, your best option is to wait some months, to check if they publish a bundle or wait to a campaign of discounts.

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

With the 650s everyone knew that it would be part of a pack as that information was right on the table since release. If you bought it as a single item then that's pretty much bad luck. As lagg said, if you aren't sure and money is tight, then rather wait. Compared to the Norschleife the car is a bit on the more expensive side again with 5 Euro. I am not sure if they will offer the newest stuff with discounts right away, but autumn/halloween and winter sale aren't that far away.

bwana, Remco Majoor, Emery and 3 others like this.
  5. @lagg well I do feel it to be a bit of a debacle as it was also promised that the bundle wouldnt be needed, instead it was said that owning one car would be enough to race with all others. I just don't want to end up buying the same car twice. Aside from that I guess the answer is, no one knows but no one believes it to be in a bundle later?

6. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I understand where you are coming from, but for the most part this car races in its own series right? So, maybe just a single piece or a part of a bigger Cup series from 397, hard to judge these situations. I can tell you this car doesn't drive or handle like it's GT3 counterpart. From my very brief drive with the car, it is more prone to spins and trail breaking is essential. It is a joy to drive but difficult to master! Another great job by 397:)

atomed and bwana like this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

Sorry but, are you sure that any member of S397 said that?
    It would be interesting to be sure, because this is one of the big wishes of many people.

8. Yes, however they later back away from it unfortunately. Still high on my wishlist though

9. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you
    It's the first time that i listen this.
    It would be interesting to know when/where they told that.

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I have not seen that said before ... this is not Raceroom:);)

atomed likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Promised? Missed that.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Anyone have already tested the Porsche?
    It feels not balanced with the brake/gas.I know it doesn’t have ABC but damn the brake balance and steering lock aren’t right at all. I’m not an alien driver and not the worst driver in the planet but the car doesn’t feel right for me.I tried every thing in car setup .

13. UnixRoot

UnixRoot Registered

The car doesn't feel right at all. No way the real car has 17.4 : 1 steering ratio and really bad brakes.

My rusty 99 Audi A4 has faster steering and better brakes.

14. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I put brake balance towards the front a little, helped a lot to balance the car.

Rodrigo Dutra likes this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

several users have commented on the much longer braking distances. One would assume that modern styles of MASHING the pedal at the last instance just won't work with this car. Keep at it. Start braking sooner and ease the brake on.
    I would guess the closest car in the modern s397 stable to the GT3 Cup would be the Norma LMP3, similar lack of driver helps.

memoNo1 likes this.
  16. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

a 5 euro / dollar "bad buy" is a debacle for you? and a new car that offered with a total cost of 5 euros / dollar let you think if you buy it or wait to see if it will be cheaper ???? .... unbelievable

atomed, bwana, coltair and 6 others like this.
  17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

My first impressions of the GT3 Cup car is that its harder to drive than the proper GT3 and GTE.
    Less aero and less braking performance. It feels a lot like a road going 911 and I guess that its a close relative of that.
    I'm about 30 sec slower around the Nords.
    EDIT after some setup changes and practice its now 12 sec slower!. The Cup car is a bit of a pig on defaults. The GT3 RS I used Med tyres and 100 litres (full tank is 120) as I wanted to match the fuel loads.

Setup wise I quickly found that rear camber was way to high (front -5 and rear-5!!!).
    Then a little stiffer front ARB helped.
    Those changes madecit less tail happy and it started to slide in a nice way.
    Driving it I felt like that driver who lacked the budget for a GT3 drive.

It might make for some close racing though! ?

EDIT: I did some quick checking and found that the GT3 Cup runs steel brake discs and yes non adjustable race suspension) and 485 hp vs the GT3RS that runs composite brake discs and 520 hp. So its braking performance will be less.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/motorspo...cing/racingcars/911-gt3-cup/featuresandspecs/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  18. AK1504

AK1504 Registered

Slower than GT3 ?

19. David O'Reilly

Yes, compared to the McLaren 720 s GT3. I'm faster than the 911 GT3 RSR (GTE) in the Macca so far.

20. David O'Reilly

Now Im 12 sec slower.