Performance drop Race at night

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ciccina2016, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Hello
    This is my current PC
    XPS 8930 - i7-8700 - 16GB - 256GB SSD + 4TB 7200 HHD - GTX 1070 with 8GB

I can run the game with 30 cars at Sebring with all maxed out if the race is during a sunny day.

But, if I set the race at 19:30 , the sim will activate the lights on the track and there is a huge loss in performance which actually is not really dependent on how many AIs I set.
    I tried even with 5 cars and I could see bad performance.

Same issue with the Lemans.

Is there any specific parameter I can change but still run the game at ultra?
    Is this an issue with the game or is just something my PC cannot handle properly?
    Is it something is going to be optimized in the future?

Cheers

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The issue is the ultra setting. Change it or live with the poor performance at times with of lot of long shadows. If there was a secret method to keep ultra setting without framedrops it would be the standard

3. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

What I don't understand is that I can run 60 AIs at 13:00 with clear sky but cannot run 10 cars at night.
    What is the technical factor to cause this?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, you haven't been very specific (which cars, which track, what fps are you getting in each scenario, is it purely fps or is CPU an issue, what does "cannot run" mean, etc). But generally speaking there is more happening graphically at night, and indeed during transitions between day and night, so performance will be lower. A game that had the same performance whether day or night would either be doing something very badly during the day or adding extra effects or processing of some sort in order to bring performance down to the same level as night time.

Whether the performance drop you're getting is normal and expected is another matter, really, but again it's hard to judge without more specifics.

5. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

• Don't be a rude dude
    Read my initial post

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2019
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok what you're not understanding is what's happening when the lights come on; RF2 is a fully dynamic racing sim with fully dynamic lights. So during the day you have just ONE light source (the Sun) casting shadows, when the Sun begins to set and the Track Lights come on there is suddenly MULTIPLE light sources and therefore more power is required for the sim to run correctly.
    Add to that you then have all the Headlights from the cars, the more AI the more Dynamic Light Sources and therefore again more power needed.

To reduce slowdowns at night the best bet is to lower graphical details so that it's smooth during night racing, it may not look "as good" during the daytime but you need to make compromises.

Also in the player.JSON file there is a setting for MAX HEADLIGHTS, now i believe this was broken at one point (i did bug report it) so whether it's fixed or not i can't say, regardless try lowering this number as default is 256 IIRC, to something like 10 just to see if it makes a difference. :)

Ciccina2016 likes this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

@Ciccina2016 My guess is gfx engine draws everything as day time using track textures and then "adds" twilight or night by darkening those textures, calculating light sources and whatever.
    This process is probably heavy on performance.
    But I could be wrong, surely some modder knows better.

Ciccina2016 likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My mistake, you did mention a track.

9. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

2 tracks Lazza :) Sebring and Lemans.. the pack I have used is the GT3 pack so on paper all standard.
    It is defenitely depending on lights..
    tonight I will make some videos to show you the difference.
    I m pretty sure one of you will give the magic option to disable somethjing and find a good compromise without turning down the settings.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The compromise is the settings, on your system it'll struggle with everything on Max/Ultra during the night with AI. So no need for a video, just lower settings until you find the right balance.

If you want all the bells and whistles at night to match daytime FPS then your gonna have to upgrade your PC.

11. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I set Sync to None and the performance went to 60 fps.
    So I can actually run everything at Ultra settings .
    thanks for the help anyway

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Lower the graphics in the following way or buy a RTX 2080 ti at 1200 €.

To play at rain + low sun/sunrise/sunset/night + AIs + demanding tracks.

- visible opponent (try 9)
    - opponent quality : low
    - raindrops : medium
    - road reflection : high
    - soft particles : deactivate
    - Post process : high
    - AA : level 3

If not enough,

- shadows : high
    - shadow blur : optimal

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I got some deja-vu moment from reading your post, so I checked my posting history and you actually asked the same question a month ago in this thread, with the solution I provided to you was to turn sync off. So yeah, I guess lesson is, don't use sync.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  14. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Indeed.. I remembered your conversation and reapplied that setting although it seems the game looks worse .
    On that post actually, I can run at 60 FPS but sometimes there are massive fps drop in specific part of the track.
    I have to say R Factor 2 all maxed out looks really nice.. this is why I am trying to push to the limit my machine.
    I hope when MP goes live I can run also with Sync

15. Filip

Filip Registered

Do you race at rain?

16. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

No @Filip but I will try all the good suggestions I received and try to make the most of it .
    thanks all for the feedbacks

17. Filip

Filip Registered

If you don't race in rain you can completely disable rain drops (off) which gains many fps even in dry weather when there is no rain.
    Now I am not sure if it has the same effect during night but I believe it should.

18. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I think i set that to off.
    Anyway for the sake of clarity I will make some videos with the different settings and show you what I get.
    Buy only after I tried the gt3 Cup :p

19. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I have been playing with the Nvidia settings for the sync but it seems that do not take any effect.
    whatever value I set there it seems does not have any effect on the game.
    even restarting the game it does not work.

my idea would be to override the sync option on the game with the invidia settings.

I tried even with the global settings but not joy.

Is there also a way to understand which sync option is being used during the game or a log written somewhere?

cheers

upload_2019-9-29_21-54-27.png