[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. durielk

durielk Registered

OK, you were right, 2 '.dll's'.... one Damp & one Motec 'plug'ins'. Thanks.
    The motec was in another directory.

2. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Actually, it looks like a case of "protecting our work" somehow. Because some of the newly locked channels aren't really from manufacturer's data, like power, torque and some other stuff we are used to come locked.

They locked tyre loads and aero data, from all the S397-released vehicles. And it was recent, because the GTE pack used to log that stuff.

It's lame, in my humble opinion, but we got more important stuff to worry about.

Davvid likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Fabio Pittol from the skip barber hdv in devmode, this is the flexibility they have:

Code:
    [PLUGIN]                       // Whether certain sensors are available as telemetry outputs
    AerodynamicSensor=1            // Aerodynamic force sensors
    EngineSensor=1
    SuspensionSensor=1
    TireForceSensor=1
    TireTemperatureSensor=1
    A bit like how I've grouped my channels in this plugin. So if someone wants some bits of data blocked, they'll block whichever groups contain then. It could take out 80% of the data from a car, depending what is in each group and what 'core' stuff isn't in any of those groups.

Whether you think it's lame or not, it's what it is. They don't do it for no reason, so it's either Kodi and Hammer and Rayzor (like rF1) or it's real cars but with some limitations. I don't even understand what 'work' they'd be protecting if they just decided to block this stuff - the files are already encrypted.

As for changes to what is blocked in certain cars, the cars themselves aren't bug-free, so that could just be another (forgot to block something; or, get told after release that something else should be blocked).

4. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Since I installed this plugin, it is taking a long time for RF2 to close down.
    How do I uninstall it?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can disable it in the plugins section in game, or delete DAMPlugin.dll in your plugin folders in bin32 and bin64. The sound files and config files are only small, no need to remove. And the logs in your log folder, they will take up some space, if you no longer want them.

Slow shutdown usually means a troublesome old log, if you have the latest version of the plugin it should happen less, and the output file shows which files it's processing so you could remove those to fix it. Either way.

6. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

hey @Lazza , the last version of plugin d'ont read whater and oli engine temperature.... Can u fixed please?

7. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

d'ont whork with 0.80 version, is my problem?

8. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

ok, the problem is the car, with the esample gt3, tatus 2018 temperature dont whork, with the mclaren mp8 tempertuare whork.....

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Liuke44 some cars have some telemetry blocked.

10. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

ok sorry, I didn't know, I'm looking for an alternative method
    thanks

11. Felix Schendel

Felix Schendel Registered

Hi thanks for the great plugin. I have one question is it possible to bind a button from my USB buttonbox to start recording? It's no big deal to use a key on the keyboard but it would be nice if this is possible.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll put a custom control back in the game, so you can assign any control you want. I did that once but the game was a bit bugged with it, and I haven't revisited it since. I'll try and get a new version up in the next week or so, made some other changes as well so just need to finish them off.

Felix Schendel likes this.
  13. McFlex

McFlex Registered

As workaround you could use VoiceAttack or some similar program to make a binding for it. So you vould emulate the press of a keyboard button by a usb buttonbox button

14. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

Use something like Antimicro and assign a key from the keyboard to a joystick button

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

v0.91 uploaded to first post (I've left 0.81 there as well, for now).

This one utilises multithreading to move file operations and some of the processing out to other threads. From reports and from my own testing I don't think the plugin has been causing many issues in terms of stuttering (or out-of-realtime) but there was a slightly irritating pause when the logs were building (usually at the monitor), so I thought I'd do it anyway.

Changes:
    - multithreading, obviously. The replay-start pause that occurred when processing a just recorded log is now gone (the game had its own, but that's been fixed in recent builds too). I've tried implementing this a couple of different ways, not sure I've gone with the best method just yet but it makes the core processing (on the physics thread) very consistently timed because it's basically doing the same thing every time. The more variable data processing happens on the secondary thread, which doesn't impact on the game directly.
    - reduced the volume of the logging status sounds (beeps, or male/female voices). Should still be loud enough to hear if you want to hear them. If I've gone too quiet let me know, I may not use 'normal' volume settings for engine etc.
    - added a DAMP Logging control to the custom control list for the game, which can be used instead of setting and using a specific key activator for logging. It's in the Devices section of the controls settings.
    - Fixed some timing for online play, so the plugin no longer immediately says it's starting logging when a session has just ended and you're in the car (waiting to be returned to the monitor).
    - Possibly some other things, but I did the bulk of this a few months ago, so I can't remember...

*Crap, yeah, I forgot something lol
    - I've added quite a few setup values to the log Details section. I've pulled these out of the 'current garage setup' which the game saves every time you jump in the car. I've supported a few of the common units, so hopefully springs etc will all get pulled in and are available to use in formulas in i2Pro if you wish. This may be useful for ride heights etc, as you can potentially factor in the setup ride height and bump rubber values. The final drive and gear ratios I've moved into the proper place in the logs, so they are shown in the details and available for formulas.
    - This does change the appearance of log data when viewing then in the Open dialog in i2Pro. I've moved all the setup stuff down to the bottom (by having all their names start with _Setup_) but the gears and final drive are in the middle of the normal fields.

Notes:
    - Multithreading is a double-edged sword. These changes have reduced the (variable) load on the game thread, but the necessary data copying and overhead processing means that overall the whole process is actually a little more demanding than previously. Considering the game runs on 2+ cores (the + being limited to some graphical stuff) for many people this is a better situation. For VR users, or perhaps streaming etc which already push the CPU on all cores while playing, this added load could potentially be an issue. In practice this plugin's workload is so low it probably won't cause any problems, but it's worth remembering there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    - I'm leaving 0.81 and 0.91 both available for now, because although I've been using 99% of this new version myself since late May I probably wouldn't advise switching to it immediately for an important race meeting. It should be fine, I have no reason to think it's not, but worth testing first. Note that I've had this plugin (and its parent, and its rF1 parent) logging every session I've driven since about 2010, so there shouldn't be any major dramas. Assuming I didn't manage to break something with couple of small changes immediately prior to uploading :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  16. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

Sorry @Lazza can you please explain how "this may be useful for ride heights" maybe with a practical example? At the moment (in some official DLC car) we only have Ride Height FL FR RL RR, I presume not a few of us knows (I don't) exactly from where it starts measure or to what it refers to; because the value "Ride Height" never go below 1,5cm and following this value it never touch the ground but clearly does, you can hear it from the sound in RF2.
    Also if you set the car to minimum height, minimum spring and zero bump rubber, "Ride Height" never touch zero but it clearly touch the ground on track.
    So, what height "Ride Height FL FR RL RR" refer to and how can you use it to detect ride height?

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Akela_DE likes this.
  17. GPNeville

GPNeville Registered

Lazza, I've come across a little issue with 0.91 version of your plugin.

It no longer displays the fastest time or total laps when opening a log file in I2Pro.
    But then once you've opened the log file these fields are updated. This didn't happen with 0.81

I've attached an image to show you:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10O7ygU1iEkwmAFOI6rbN3QhkLI7-6gy_

It's not a biggie, just a heads up.
    Cheers
    Gary

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah, that's a change I forgot to mention.

Previously I didn't create a summary xml file (.ldx) which meant i2Pro will skim the log and work out some basic data to display. Unfortunately this also meant it would display a partial log with its "laptime" which tended to be impossibly fast. This logging isn't meant to be started and stopped like that (and in real life you can't do half an outlap and then teleport back to the pits) so the only way to zero out those times was to create a dummy ldx file that could never function properly. If I made one saying there was no laptime, or a very slow laptime, i2Pro would adjust it again when opening the file. So then it had a phantom fast laptime again.

However, this dummy file then meant you couldn't add any notes or details in i2Pro for that log, since it couldn't save to the ldx file, which is a shame because often those partial runs are specific testing and adding notes is exactly what you want to do.

Then, adding the setup values required the ldx file, so I've committed to having it. And because it exists, i2Pro doesn't skim the data in the file open dialog. It thinks it's previously done it. So, as you've found, it won't update that data until you open the log.

Well that explains the why, so obviously I need to make the plugin keep track of the fastest time and number of laps and write those to the ldx.

GPNeville likes this.
  19. GPNeville

GPNeville Registered

All good mate, and thanks for the explanation!

20. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Hi Lazza
    I just wrote it in bug report where I started a topic some days ago: Running DAM Plugin in DataRate 5 level stops my rf2 to save at exit changes in the plugin on/off configuration. DataRate 3 seems to work.
    Maybe it is not exiting corretly in datarate 5 ? However rf2 does not save the plugin json even when I never entered track, just start rf2 offline, options, change in plugin on/off config, back, exit. Never in realtime.
    Cheers
    Stefan